• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AmsOil // Lucas Oil in the Trans//TC

deuceman51

I put it into my trucks and my customers trucks. I believe in it and have found that it actually will decrease the temps due to less friction. I use it also in my winches when the seals leak. Works very well there too. A little thicker than gear oil, but I haven't had any trouble and it actually fixed a few winch leaks.

dogtags

I use AmsOil in my daily driver - a 2000 TJ - and love it. I noticed the better cold weather performance right off the bat once the transmission and differentials were switched over.

I plan on putting it in my WC-63 once done also.

Last edited:

DieselBob

I run Amsoil in my dd and my F250. I did notice about a 10 degree drop in my transmission temp when pulling my trailer with the F250 after changing the transmission, transfer case and differential oils. I also use "AMSOIL Synthetic SAE 50 Powershift Transmission Fluid is formulated for Fuller CD-50 performance and is ideal for use in Rockwell/Eaton/Fuller, Spicer, Fabco, Warner and other large truck manual transmissions" in the deuce transmission and transfer case. It did improve the ease of shifting. Hasn't caused any ill effects as of yet but I know it is a experiment and not the oil listed in the "lube order".2cents

Flyingvan911

I put about 20% Lucas in my deuce's differentials, tranny, and transfer case. I changed my engine oil and add just 2 quarts Lucas. I just installed spin-on oil filters so my oil pressure will come up right away. I might not put Lucas in the crankcase anymore. I'll have to think about it.

paulfarber

It may or may not hurt.. but for the added expense I don't see a benefit that has been proven other than by the anecdotal evidence posted on the interwebz.

Read some of the AMSOIL Testimonials for a good laugh. People who maintain their vehicles actually had them last longer! NO WAY! :roll:

My 43 CCKW has its original engine... it must be the AMSOIL! Well, maybe not.

It can't hurt, but in a Deuce I don't see it helping a lot.

wsucougarx

There's a thread in here describing how using synthetics burned out a couple trannies in the deuce. Seems it wasn't able to climb the gears like GL-1. I don't know if there's any validity to it or not. just something I came across that got me to stick with the old stuff

Flyingvan911

Part of Lucas supposed benefit is that it clings to the gears better to keep them well lubed. My tranny has only had it for a few hundred miles and only about 1 quart. Unfortunately, there isn't any real scientific study with newer lubes in deuce gearboxes. Most everything is he said/she said. It can be hard to nail down the actual cause of a failure.

paulfarber

You think AMSOIL/LUCAS would have a detailed and concise technical report about the wear reducing properties of their product. I mean, that IS the selling point.

Yet I have not see, nor heard of a one. Their web site has jibberish about 'feels faster' and 'best customer support'. What?

If they were getting engines to last 300k+ simply by using their product, where are the oil analysis reports? It would take a year or two in an OTR truck. Cost maybe a few hundred dollars tops. Then they can say look, its a proven fact that wear is X. They could easily get ask any major motor carrier for two trucks with the same route and used oil in one, and mystery goo in the other.

I think we all know that there would be no significant difference.

I don't think that your M35 will blow a tranny because of it, but I don't believe for one second that its the holy grail.

bill2444

The only thing i can say for sure is, that with some of our equipment. they sit over winter and we fire things up in spring we usually have a lot of seal leaks of gear boxes from sitting. The stuff that we have put lucus in the gear oil of seems to slow up the seal leaks. And some small leaks will heal up. We however don't use it the engine oil. Just straight Rottella T 15w40. (the original miracle oil)

jollyroger

What I know about Lucas and Amsoil.

I've been running the Lucas Fuel conditioner in my Farm Tractors for 15 years. They burn a bit cleaner in the exhaust and slightly cooler engine temps on hot days when running the pto equipment, mower and bailer. They also start easier on cold days.

Since they started making the low sulfur diesel I run the Lucas fuel conditioner in my diesel MV's as the sulfur was an injector pump lubricant. If I'm caught out on a road trip and don't have some fuel conditioner I run a quart or two of ATF for IP lube. I have noticed a slight improvement of power in the MV's with the fuel conditioner And they are easier to start on cold days. There seems to be a slight increase in fuel mileage but 6mpg to 6.5mpg is not really signifigant enough to think about for the low miles I drive them.

I run most of the Lucas Oil products in my other vehicles, we have many, on the farm, personal and business. I like the seal conditioning properties and how it works. And it is a good value for the money I think. I would recomend it for most applications up to daily driver.

Amsoil is expensive but IMO a good product. My Mother and father started a new electric car business in 1979. At the time the best range on these cars was 30 miles at 30 MPH. So any improvements meant a large improvement in range and mileage. Dad put Amsoil in the transmission and rear end in the cars. They were Ford Pinto 4 speed Manual and a Pinto rear end. They got a slight improvement in speed but started to see 33 to 35 miles range just with that change. Granted this could be due to a lower viscosity in the oil but we never had any adverse wear, shifting or failures after we put the Amsoil in. And there were some of those issues before the change.

My good friend Jimmy runs the Amsoil in his engine and tranny in his 2005 GMC with the Duramax, Allison combo. He got about a 10% increase in fuel economy over about 10,000 miles so far. His tranny runs about 20 degrees cooler even pulling my 32 foot gooseneck flatbed with two Jeeps on it. He has had the engine oil tested and it does not need changed yet. Amsoil offers the test kits for your convinience.

I would run the Amsoil in the super special vehicle you intend to drive a lot and or keep forever. It is expensive enough to be slightly cost prohibitive but......I think it really works well. I will be switching over to it in my 2009 Dodge when the warranty runs out and I don't have to use the "factory" lubes anymore.

I hope that helps.

paulfarber

You never *have* to use factory lubes. There was a huge lawsuit in the 70-80s about this and no auto manufacturer can demand that you use THEIR product.. only one that meets THEIR specs.

I find it HI-LARIOUS that people will research the heck out of a computer, a chain saw, a blu-ray player, a pair of boots etc but happily pour mystery goo into their vehicles.

Synthetic oil is not mystery goo... and it has been tested to last longer, but things like LUCASOIL etc... they pour it in and say how rosey the world is.

I don't think synthetic oil is a cure all.. there are plenty of dino oil engines with a million miles (trucking industry, some well maintained cars, etc).

The thing that most people don't realize is that the folks that DO use synthetic oil are more likely to FIX a problem (aka maintain an engine) than folks that just change the oil and wait for the check engine light. How many people change the timing belt/chain at the specified point? The guys with the 300k engines are.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paul,

I'll agree on maintaining the engine is a key factor. My Toyota gets the oil changed every 5000 miles, and the timing belt every 60,000. It's got 309,131 on it right now. It does go through about a quart between changes, but I can live with that. My deuces all get Rotella T 15-40, but I might try the Lucas in the transmission and pumpkins.

pistonium

I don't have evidence at my fingertips, but I believe it's pretty well documented that synthetics do four things dino oil won't: last longer, better low temp performance (less friction), prolong seal life, and to a lesser extent reduce wear. I run synthetic oil in all my engines - on the little stuff like lawn mowers the cost is not a big deal, so why not; on the big stuff, it makes the engine perform better and last longer with less maintenance so it's worth it, and the best reason - it gives me longer between oil/filter changes - that saves me all kinds of time/hassle.

Buy from Walmart on sale if you can - cheapest I've found.

I think synthetics in drivetrain gearboxes is a good bet too, but I've not done that yet.

paulfarber

Synthetic oil will do nothing for a seal. If anything, synthetics will seep/weep a little more because they are generally thinner (aka low viscosity).

I completely agree with extended change intervals... synthetics use a much better base stock that random oil from the ground. But as with anything that rotates, if you maintain it it will last at least as long as its designed to.

I know guys that still use the leather seals in their jeeps... as long as you replace them at the proper intervals its absolutely no problem. You can even go until failure... with no problem... till it fails. And this is leather.

Change your oil every 5000 miles or sooner and you can do without synthetics. If you want to go 7000-10000+ then you need the good stuff. Many import cars have oil change intervals of 10,000 miles now a days.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks