• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

An American Deuce in Canada

13thArmy

I have to agree with everyone else's posts here. Love the video and it makes you just want to get a duece rolling in the off road trails.`Thanks for posting up King Machine and lets see if we cant get together this summer for wheeling and beers!

The King Machine

Dropped the top this weekend, the sun was out. Warm and sunny, nothing beats the open road after dark......looking up and seeing only the stars on a clear March night with the sound of a deuce and a half running at about 2400 rpm.

A few pics, my sister spotted me in traffic with no shirt on. Called me a red neck...
My buddy playing out at Stave lake in his M35a3
King Deuce in the farm field helping out and looking good
Me with the little ones enjoying the sun.....and the Deuce

Thanks for the kind words guys. I enjoy my truck

Attachments

The King Machine

I was out and about a week ago driving along I notice a security guard waving me over. I drove and passed the barricade and found myself on the set of the latest Godzilla film. The guard thinking I was part of the crew (we don't see these trucks just driving around much up here) allowed me to stick around and grab a few pics. The King Deuce was begging to say hi to a few her old war buddies.

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

May 22nd, 2013. Frikkin Choochin, King Machine from one of the pesky Unimog owners from south of the border (yours, not ours)! Having owned both units, I do miss my deuce, but the Unimog is more agile and less likely to get stuck..... HOWEVER, when a Unimog does get properly stuck, its gonna take two of your M35A2's to get it out (Ask me how I know? I've seen other Unimogs get stuck in Texas gumbo). Enjoy the deuce, just remember, when you are out on those wayback Canadian bush trails, if you stick or breakdown, you will need a friend with a 5 ton wrecker to haul you out...it's just the nature of the beast. I don't know if locking up all three axles is worth it, as the deuce drive train was designed with inherent slippage capability, and your two axle rear bogie may not behave well with all four wheel sets locked up.Good luck, and swing by Harvey's Hamburgers and have an order of fries, as I also miss those PEI potatoes they used to use decades ago...;)

Stan Leschert

We will have 3 trucks in the Lynn Valley Days parade on Sat June 25. Come on up to the start point and ride along with us. Unfortunately, the WC52 is down, requiring a ring job and some electrical, so we're just bringing an M37, M135 and an M36A3. Plenty of room in the companion seats! I will probably be on the sidelines with an HD video camera. Sort of a dry run for the Canada Day Parade.

PM me if interested.

The King Machine

My first trailer

It's an M105 with the gate on front and back. She is begging to be put back in service. She sits level and tracks straight. The brakes work, after 1/2 mile of locked tires, 12 hits from the sledge hammer, and 23 forward backward movements they broke loose. Now they work great :naner:

The chasiis could use a sand blast and paint. Bearings, brake inspection, new lights and wiring, and a fair bit of metal work to straighten out the bent up gates.
This old girl has seen some action. I've spotted a number of areas where repairs were made pre paint. The data plate has several coats of paint on it. I will clean it up and get some numbers. I wonder if the great and Magnificent Carnac could help?

Attachments

The King Machine

We will have 3 trucks in the Lynn Valley Days parade on Sat June 25. Come on up to the start point and ride along with us. Unfortunately, the WC52 is down, requiring a ring job and some electrical, so we're just bringing an M37, M135 and an M36A3. Plenty of room in the companion seats! I will probably be on the sidelines with an HD video camera. Sort of a dry run for the Canada Day Parade.

PM me if interested.
I'm pushing to have my truck finished by late june I think I should set a goal to be there. Alot work to do

Stan Leschert

Shoot me a PM. I'll send my cell number. Should have room for another truck, as 2 of the older dodges are having charging problems, and may be acting Blank files this year.

Still haven't seen you for that Pint at the club .... Get.Er.Done!

If I knew that you were looking for an M105, there is a local one that outgrew it's home ... Oh Well.

The King Machine

Shoot me a PM. I'll send my cell number. Should have room for another truck, as 2 of the older dodges are having charging problems, and may be acting Blank files this year.

Still haven't seen you for that Pint at the club .... Get.Er.Done!

If I knew that you were looking for an M105, there is a local one that outgrew it's home ... Oh Well.
Do you need a parts truck for that m135, I know of one sitting behind a barn in east richmond. It's in rough shape but maybe there might be parts you could use. I wasn't really looking for a trailer but this one was close to home and the guy only wanted 500$ Do you know why this trailer has a gate on both front and back? I dont understand what the front gate would be used for.

oboyjohn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe I may have your answer about the double tail gate. That trailer could have been assigned as a generator trailer. It would have had a security cage instead of wooden bows. The double gate would have been used to easily access different places on the genset. From the back, you would be able to start and stop it, check the operating gauges, and make voltage adjustments on the generator. From the front, you would have access to do maintenance on the motor, instead of crawling over a hot engine and generator. In the front, there was usually enough room to store a tent heater, something like an old " Herman Nelson". ( Any Canadian Forces old timer would know about these heaters). The latest gensets had air cooled Deutz diesel engines. They were 5 or 10 kilowatt generators. You did not want to run the fuel tank dry, they were sometimes a real pain to bleed the fuel pump and line going to the injector. Look for a pattern of bolt holes in the bed of your trailer. These would have been for the skid of the generator. Also look for a round hole cut into one of the side boards or the floor. A flexible steel hose for the engine exhaust would have passed through there. Hope this helps!

The King Machine

My shipment of parts showed up at work today. This t-case is in great shape I have all the connections valves, switches, and hoses. The air dryer is a really nice improvement and looks to be in good functioning order. I figured if the military put this on the updated trucks it would be a good idea. I've got a few new sets of mirror assemblies, 2 passenger and one driver. I bust and bend the passenger ones every time. Along with a set of mirrors with convex........ military issue. The air assist steering appears to be in really good shape. I will replace the rubber lines and bolt that sucker on. It will be nice in the driver fatigue department, that means I'll be able to stay up later on whipsaw this year

The most important buy is this new tcase. The new one has a 1996 stamp on the data plate. My sprag case does the job but lacks the full control of the 6x6. I had no on demand 6x6.
This is a problem for obstacles like V rock , mud, coming down stuff like Hale sh*t road. In particular steep slopes with loose terrain. It is an unpleasant experience trying to snow board a 13 500 lbs truck down a rocky slope. Now I have the option of engaging the front axle to provide traction on the down slope. Trying to use the engine breaking to slow my speed was suicide before. I'm dreaming up some kind of cradle with fork extensions for the fork lift. After I get it in the truck I expect a .1875" increase in testicle size.

The truck just needs lockers in the rear. My new trailer is good to go, I will get started on the restoration. It has a lot of history, I can tell. A number of repairs of various degrees. All of it occurred before the last application of Military paint. It's a Canadian trailer from back east the data has about 50 coats of paint on it, I'm thinking early 60's.....and used. I'm going to bring her back up to operational status

Thanks again to Petre out of Jacksonville Florida. Thanks buddy

Attachments

sparragh

Hows it goin eh? Well, fellow MV lovers, this canuk just purchased a deuce. I had an 850 mile trip to bring her home and had only 2 issues, I am looking for advice and help with the first one cause I know how to resolve my second issue. About a little less than half way home after stopping for fuel, I noticed an excessive amount of oil around the right side of the truck. Checking the oil, the level showed about 3 inches above the full mark. Oil pressure was running a constant 95-100 psi through the whole trip. other than that It ran great. so when I got home, the whole right side of the engine, wheel well, batteries, battery box, and pretty much all of the running gear was soaked with oil. Question, should I be worried and where do I go from here? what can I clean this mess up with? My second issue was the heat in the cab, it was hotter than a jalapeño ranch farmers breakfast in that cab.....and the lack of belly room did not help much either.

oboyjohn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi there Sparragh. Fellow Canadian here. As for the heat in the cab, that is par for the course. When I used to drive a deuce for the army in the summer, I would had both floor vents open, both front windshields open about 3 inches, both door windows down and the back wall window open. Even with all the air flow, It still would be hotter than a snakes belly in Death Valley. This is because the heat from the engine gets transferred directly to the floor boards and the firewall, thus into the cab. To help cool it down, some have been known to insulate the floor and firewall with spray on foam or custom thermal mats that extend up on the fire wall. For now, get the maximum air flow in the cab during warm weather and drink plenty of fluids.

Cheers!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks