• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

An easy way to pickup a M832 Shelter dolly

sail-bum

It was nearly impossible for me to find a trailer that this would fit on, I do not like moving any of this equipment on it's own wheels until I have checked it out completely. Anyways, I have a 16' utility trailer that has a high capacity rating, but it is just not wide enough for the 8' wheel spacing of the shelter dolly.

So I decided that I would just split it and load it in 2 sections. Let me tell you, when I pulled out a wrench and told the GL personnel that I was going to split, they looked at me like I was from Mars.

I had them support it with the forklift, I pulled the bolts and blocks and we were in business. I have been told that these will wonder at high speeds, this rig towed beautifully for the 4 hour trip back to Atlanta.

I just thought I would throw that out there encase anyone else had the same dilemma. It is unloaded and reassembled, ready to go to work. Now I just have to go to Fort Benning and pick up my M1022 Dolly set next week!

Attachments

NEIOWA

The M720 will wander all over the road above 25mph (at least towing 2 in tandem). The M832 and M1022 tow great. These have lots of potential for project. Have a M832 with boxbeam from rails to support a MEP009B 200kw I put together in our Fire Dept. On scene drop the whole thing on the ground. Gread hattrick.

I'd say you wasted a lot of time. Sam buys dolly they go in a motor pool and never get used. Shelter needs hauling bring in a forklift and an S&P. If pass visual inspection pull it home.

Last edited:

sail-bum

I was unsure of the towing on these, thanks for the info. My only problem with pulling them on their own wheels is being 4+ hours from home, for me I would rather not risk the time and travel. I know how my trailer pulls, and it is well maintained. I just like to feel confident of no surprises.

Crazy

I'm glad I found this thread. I have two dolly sets that I bought up north. I was trying to figure how to load them on a tilt bed trailer. Now I now. I know this was a long time ago but did you take more pictures? Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks