• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AN/GRC-46 Shelter and Radio Restoration

Mayor Joe

I found an AN/GRC-46 shelter in great condition and a nearly complete radio set to put in it. The shelter appears never to have had anything mounted inside. I found the manuals and some other details from various sites, but I thought I'd enlist the help of some pros. I'm not a radio pro by an means.

The missing components are the R392/URR Receiver (saw the post where someone was ripped off trying to buy one), the TT-98 Teletypewriter and the TT-76 Reperforator.

Any info regarding specifications on the mounting supports, AN/GRC-46B Heater, Fan, Clock, Seat, etc. would be helpful.

I have a great truck to put it in and would like to make it as complete as possible.

Thanks.

Aswayze

I did a good bit of hunting around at RTTY stuff a few years back trying to get a practical WD-1a system up and running to no particular avail.

In the process however, I did happen across a TT-76 reperforator up at Shade Tree Recycling over in Passiac Missouri. It was in sort of sad shape, but I suspect it could be restored to LOOK good easily enough. He also had an entire GRC-46 shelter that had been fire damaged sitting there so I suspect that there's mounts and stuff kicking around there as well if a fella knew what all to look for.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Have not followed the TTY stuff for many years, but does anyone still do 60 WPM TTY communications? Not to sure about the R-392 receiver but the R-390 and the R390A (the non rugged version with the same freq specs etc.) I still see in my sleep sometimes. Must have repaired and/or calibrated thousands in the late 50s and early 60s (58-64). I have a cherry R-390A somewhere around here. If they made a R-392A I would hold out for that unit as the A version of the R-390 was a much better receiver.

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can gets lots of info on the GRC-46 series and other RATT on my web site. Manuals also. http://www.rattrig.com
Or ask, and I will answer what I can. I have a restored "GRC-46C", working, that will soon be surplus to my needs. You can see it on the site.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks