• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

An idiot's guide to piecing together a winch.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I thought I would share some of my experiences "piecing" together a standard deuce winch set up for my truck. My best advice would be to get a complete set up all at once if at all possible.

I got a great deal on a used winch, with cable, chain, hook and frame extensions. The price was 400 and it was brought to SOCAL from somewhere way back east. Ok, he was coming out this way anyhow, but it still had to mess up his gas mileage. Complete set ups have gone anywhere from 800 bucks in CO, to 1500+ in SOCAL since I started on this project. That's just the ones I've seen. I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could have found one for 1200ish within decent driving range.

Two years ago when I started this money was a little tighter. Still it would be tough to convince the wife that I needed 1200+ worth of parts in a truck I paid 1400 for. Piecing it together seemed like a great idea. I even thought I might save some money.

So I brought the winch which is rumored to have been owned by Wreckerman home and had the boy and his friend install it on my truck. They were 12 years old then. It took about 90 dollars with of hardware to do it. The long bolts were ordered off the internet. I didn't bother to read anything in the TM or the site before installing it. The boys had a blast and it went on with no problems. Later I read that I should have protected the radiator, etc, etc. I suggest you follow the advice on the site and read the TM first - I got lucky.

The next thing I did was to drain the soupy, milky crap out on the winch. When a spring from one of the seals came out the drain I figured they were probably bad. I searched the internet and found four replacement seals, cheaper than any of the MV supply houses. I think I spent 60 bucks on them, but don't quote me. The real answer is probably buried in a thread somewhere. Those seals are still sitting on my desk, waiting to go in.

I got a tip that Saturn had the winch/PTO cab handle cheap and 40ish later with shipping I had one. It's been stashed in the garage a long time.

I heard that the winch requires special shouldered bolts so I set out to find some. After several days of trying everywhere and only finding ones made out of solid gold, I got a tip from a SS old timer to call George at White Owl. That is is the single best piece of advice I've ever been given. I called him up and he sold me a used, bead blasted set for 5 bucks each. I was pretty happy that I had this parts chasing thing down and I was still under budget.

Somehow I managed to break a special shouldered bolt in half when installing it. George at White Owl sold me a single replacement when I was worried I would have to buy a whole set.

At this point I just needed "a couple" more parts and I'm all set. Life is good and the winch looks great mounted up there. NK14 has plenty of material to give me chit about in chat too. Now I'm hunting the PTO.

This is where it gets a little sticky. Winches are out there all the time with no PTOs. Shafts (my other missing big piece) are all over the internet new and used. Lots of them. The PTO? Not so much. They show up on eBay for 500 bucks sometimes for a new one or even 400 + for a used one. Not THAT often though. My winch project stalled until I found one in the classifieds here for 275.

When I was doing the PTO transaction I remembered that I needed the bracket that holds the winch/PTO lever. I had looked but only found them for 80-100 dollars. It's nothing special, but hard to find so you pay the price. The PTO seller had one and we did a deal for 300 on the PTO and bracket AND shipping. I see the light at the end of the winch tunnel now.

With the PTO in route I looked around for install info. I guess I need gaskets and studs. I found the studs locally but no gaskets. Again I email George. He gives me some detailed instructions on the PTO install and sends me gaskets for free. Says it isn't worth hassling with charging me. I suspect he wants to see this winch actually finished too. It's going on two years. I asked him about a shaft and he said he could get a new one to my door for 150. Not the cheapest, but very competitive pricing and he has done more to get my winch going than I have. I emptied what I had in paypal and the shaft is currently in route.

So we're done, right? Um, no. I have no way to connect the PTO to the lever. Duh. Oh and what about that hinged lock thing for the floor? Duh. Oh and the PTO is missing the eye bolt that the linkage, if I had the linkage, attaches to.

After trying to dig up something for a linkage I gave up and emailed George. He has all the missing little parts including a proper shear pin. As soon as he opens in the morning I'll get all that on order.

So like I said - buy a complete take off winch set if your budget allows. If you piece it together ask around more than I did and try dig up the hidden stuff. I'm sure I could have found parts faster and maybe cheaper, but I have a few other hobbies and some ADHD.

I haven't totaled the price up yet, but I don't think I saved any money. Who knows, even with new seals, maybe that ole winch don't even work. :)

Sure looks good up there though.

Last edited:

gunboy1656

That is why I went for a winch truck right off the bat. I figure any other piece can be added on later, but I don't have the equipment to attach a winch.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is why I went for a winch truck right off the bat. I figure any other piece can be added on later, but I don't have the equipment to attach a winch.
That's an even better suggestion if the truck is available and the budget allows. That's how my buddy Phil buys his trucks - W/W.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put my winch on a year ago, but I still haven't installed the PTO, cab handle, or drive shaft yet. I have some new PTO boots for it that I've yet to put in and I'm thinking about installing new seals in it as well.

I know the winch leaks and I'm contemplating either putting corn head grease in it or just carrying some gear oil (which I should probably do anyways) to fill it if I need to use it.

To my knowledge, the only thing I'm missing is the in-cab data plate, the handle lock latch, and a shear pin. I should probably send George an email.
:beer:

wsucougarx

Haha wished I would have had this thread to read a couple years ago when I pieced two kits together. Still working on piecing one more kit together. Just need the PTO, linkage and PTO flange and I'm golden.

I just bought a winch truck and removed all of the parts and now I am selling what remains a really nice non winch truck for a little more than I paid. The swap took a week and works great. Good luck with the rest of your project.

USMC6062

My $200 complete winch setup turned into a $1200 winch setup by the time i replaced what was worn and broken and got it on my truck. Next time I'll buy a winch truck from the start.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am about to go down that road of putting on a winch. I think I will do what you said and get a complete kit.
Thanks for the helpful words!!:beer:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just ordered what I think is the last remaining parts. Of course once I try to finish things up I'll discover something else I forgot.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
George at White Owl is a great resource for both parts and info.

Congrats. I did the same thing you did and got the complete setup for around a grand.
There was a thread earlier fir a very helpfull SS member with a list of all the bolts needed and where to get them. :beer:

RavageRitual

Thanks DUG for writing this all out. I thought I was the only one going through this process lol. I agree with the "buy a complete kit" method. I got a whole bunch of random stuff for $800 (Mint hardtop, D turbo, winch, gasser pto shaft, two PTO's, tail lights, emergency brake shoes, brake return spring, lots of US Canvas, and a few more items I can't remember) , but now I've got to get this thing peiced together and probably do some trading. Thanks alot again!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks