• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

An interesting comment I heard from deep inside Ukriane

Reworked LMTV

I have been digging deep into the conflict using Youtube and Foreign news sources, including "France 24" and raw Ukraine rebel footage. I heard that the reason that the first Russian Column failed was that their trucks were shod with fake Michelin XMLs. These tires that had the same tread pattern as the XMLs, BUT were actually faulty Chinese clones and that they had sat too long without using and blew out on a lot of the trucks.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..... their trucks were shod with fake Michelin XMLs. These tires that had the same tread pattern as the XMLs, BUT were actually faulty Chinese clones.....
AFAIK Michelin's XML tires have not be cloned yet. But Triangle (which may be the largest tire manufacturer in China) does make the TRY66, which could be considered a XZL clone.

The picture below shows one Russian truck (Pantsir-S1) stuck somewhere in the Ukrainian mud, after both rear tires blew out.
One can clearly recognise the XZL pattern, but we can only assume that those are the Chinese tires.

1646522927642.png

Just a few days ago I got a bunch of used 95% 365/85R20s from a customer, to be mounted on 12-bolt MRAP steel wheels. Among them were a few of the Chinese (XZL) clones - which he hadn't noticed at the time of purchase (!)
So far, the only real problem is the actual size difference: Once inflated the XZL stands one inch taller and its tread is one inch wider compared to the Chinese counterpart. (talk about "fair" competition...:|)

20220226_204324.jpg 20220305_195200.jpg 20220305_202332.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
1646522927642.png

This is a picture of the Pantsir S1 ( SA-22 Greyhound) Air Defence System. It has, as far as I can see a Phase array Radar on it. The great limitation to the much vaunted PATRIOT radar, (Phase Array) is that the radar can only Look in one direction. So the Russians put TWO radars on the radar pedestal, so not they can "Look" in a 360 Radius. Look this baby up in Wiki. It cost about 14 million bucks. Read stats on it. Fires on the move and has 30mm cannons AND Missiles. Bad Motor Scooter. And that is a Ukrainian standing next to it. Why are we not seeing this on the boob tube?

Reworked LMTV

AFAIK Michelin's XML tires have not be cloned yet. But Triangle (which may be the largest tire manufacturer in China) does make the TRY66, which could be considered a XZL clone.

The picture below shows one Russian truck (Pantsir-S1) stuck somewhere in the Ukrainian mud, after both rear tires blew out.
One can clearly recognise the XZL pattern, but we can only assume that those are the Chinese tires.

View attachment 860774

Just a few days ago I got a bunch of used 95% 365/85R20s from a customer, to be mounted on 12-bolt MRAP steel wheels. Among them were a few of the Chinese (XZL) clones - which he hadn't noticed at the time of purchase (!)
So far, the only real problem is the actual size difference: Once inflated the XZL stands one inch taller and its tread is one inch wider compared to the Chinese counterpart. (talk about "fair" competition...:|)

View attachment 860771 View attachment 860772 View attachment 860773
Interesting info. share. Thank you!

Guyfang

Staff member
For the same reason snipers have spotters, most AA systems have 2 radars, search and tracking
Of course. But not all. This Russian system has two L band radars and two Phase Array radars. The Phase Array can act as both. Just like Patriot. Only one radar to the system. But, it only covers 180 degrees of the surrounding area. Thats why the Russians mounted two Phase Array radar back to back in this system.

In Hawk, we had 4 radars. Three accusation, One tracking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks