• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

An M888! No my #8 key isn't stuck

donald_r

I also like the M888 Telephone truck. I currently own a M887, and while I love the storage compartments, I dislike the no rear viewing situation. There is no rearward view through the back window. It sucks backing up. I also own a utility body that is almost like the M888 Telephone truck. It’s not the original military unit, but with some paint, my M887 could be as useful as the M888 Telephone truck.

Which brings up the question of vehicle value. My impression has been that while the M880 series are rather unique and useful, most of the military vehicle collector community views them as the black sheep of the family, the b@stard child.

Do you think swapping out the full size utility body for the smaller telephone version will affect the value?
Or is the real answer: that it’s paid for, it’s useful, it works for me, and who cares what a bunch of WWII fanatics think?

Attachments

redbeard

I always thought a pickup truck with one of these utility bodies and a slide in camper would be a great vehicle. OK, the camper would sit high because of the utility bed, but all that extra storate? wow. 20 lb propane bottles instead of 5, 20 gal water heater instead of 4, 20 or more gal potable water tank, gray and black water tanks, and the list goes on. For summer, unroll an awning and pop open a door and slide out the propane stove instead of inside cooking making camper hot. Newer Slide ins even have provision for outside shower. That extra storage under the camper, from it setting high on body would be really handy too. Even making slide out trays for it. I would put supports under the camper since the floor would be unsupported. That was one sweet looking truck. Since my M880 is not going to have a military or even civilian restoration, I"d put a utility body on it, But I use it to haul a in-bed 350 gal water tank. We don't have a well on the property so I get to buy water at our local yet rural water treatment plant. At about $4.50 per tank, it's not too bad. There is a 1500 gal in ground concrete cistern and we average about 2 loads a week. $24.00 a month seems about what I've paid in most cities for water and sewage. We use septic system and costs about $1000/3-5 years to clean it out. Ahh, life in the 21st country in rural Colorado. I have a neighbor who told mei his wife insists that if they ever put a stop light in at our intersection, they are moving. I figure that's about 20-50 years down the road.
Myles

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks