• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AN/TPQ-36 FireFinder (Modified M116A1) Trailer

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trailer came from Ft. Sill
I’m assuming it’s from the Air Defense Battalion/Brigade

The X still is a mystery

Guyfang

Staff member
TDC ADB

TDC Tactical Data Coordinator
TDC Tactical Digital Computer
TDC Target Development Cell
TDC Technical Development Conference
TDC Technology Demonstration Center
I would lean towards the first one.

Could have belonged to TRADOC unit. A training unit may have used an X. The X301 should be the vechile number, or what we called "Bumper Number". TRADOC means training, ad that is the home of FA training. I will try and raise an old buddy who spent lots of time there with the ADA training School.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TDC ADB

TDC Tactical Data Coordinator
TDC Tactical Digital Computer
TDC Target Development Cell
TDC Technical Development Conference
TDC Technology Demonstration Center
I would lean towards the first one.

Could have belonged to TRADOC unit. A training unit may have used an X. The X301 should be the vechile number, or what we called "Bumper Number". TRADOC means training, ad that is the home of FA training. I will try and raise an old buddy who spent lots of time there with the ADA training School.
I understand Very well TRADOC and bumper numbers.
It’s this particular odd trailer that’s throwing me a curve.

The rear aluminum bumper has small threaded holes so instead of painting the unit, etc, on the bumper, you can simply make a plate with same info and screw it on.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
sort of like this
You could load that thing with ammo and rockets and it wouldn't fail on the trail.
Best idea so far is to put a generator on it and/or a welder with all the equipment and large fuel tank.
Funny you mentioned that.
Was just trying to figure out a layout plan for a welder/generator/tanks/fuel, etc just yesterday.

Guyfang

Staff member
Frank,

Tried to up load a newer TM0-2330-202-13&P, but its tooooooooo large. Dated 30 Dec-2011 If you all don't have it, and want it, will upload it to the TM forum.

jasonjc

How hard would it be to make it a "radar" unit again?? Being a flat radar seems easy.?.?.? Would be a cold display item.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How hard would it be to make it a "radar" unit again?? Being a flat radar seems easy.?.?.? Would be a cold display item.
No clue.
Time and $$$
Old radar unit would be cool.
I bet that will never be on the surplus sites. Wish I had pics of this particular trailer when it was complete.
Would be pricey if you could even find the proper radar.

With the labor for the lock ring rims, I’ll have $1k just for 4 new tires, tubes and flaps.
Add new tail lights, NOS wire harness, shocks and all new push release pins, so far, this trailer is quickly adding up in cost.
.......AND I still don’t know what I’m doing with it.

Guyfang

Staff member
This was the last version I saw, attached to the B Company, 173rd BSB, (brigade Support Battalion. Had to think a while what the units was, as its been 10 years. There is supposed to be a follow on radar, that is much better, and according to the soldiers, the TPQ-36 was a killer!

This version has a different trailer. I asked someone I know at Ft. Sill if there is maybe a version like yours at the museum. he will take a look see.
1605815914298.png

The AN/TPQ-36 is an electronically steered radar, meaning the radar antenna does not actually move while in operation. The radar antenna may however be moved manually if required. The system may also be operated in a friendly fire mode to determine the accuracy of counterbattery return fire, or for conducting radar registration or mean point of impact calibrations for friendly artillery.

It can locate mortars, artillery, and rocket launchers, simultaneously locate 10 weapons, locate targets on first round and perform high-burst, datum-plane, and impact registrations. It can be used to adjust friendly fire, interfaces with tactical fire and predicts the impact of hostile projectiles.

Its maximum range is 24 km with effective range of 18 km for artillery and 24 km for rockets. Its azimuth sector is 90°. It operates in the X-band at 32 frequencies. Peak transmitted power is 23 kW, min.

It features permanent storage for 99 targets, has a field exercise mode and uses a digital data interface.

Guyfang

Staff member
Just went back to the very first post. The tail lights are the OLD style lights. Man, they have not been in the inventory since Nixon was in office. Was there a data plate on the trailer? Should have been at least 3. Basic chassis, Mod to the trailer, and the Radar set. Would be of interest.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just went back to the very first post. The tail lights are the OLD style lights. Man, they have not been in the inventory since Nixon was in office. Was there a data plate on the trailer? Should have been at least 3. Basic chassis, Mod to the trailer, and the Radar set. Would be of interest.
[/QUOTE

Serial number is still there but no date of manufacture unfortunately.

Attachments

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Something to take notice of here. second data plate picture. It shows an FSN, Federal Stock number. The FSN went the way of the dinosaurs in 1974. So this much older then I thought. Its also a M116A1 trailer. When you look at the TM9-2330-202-14&P, there is no such trailer. The updated TM9-2330-202-13&P has the M116A1 in it.

No date of manufacture leads one to think that the Data plate is not original to the trailer. Maybe no data plate was on the trailer when it was modded for the radar? The FSN, was assigned 1-Jan-1962. I found some tech data if you are interested I can post it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks