• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

An XM 816 lives again,,, sorta

Jesse6325

I actually got an XM 816 wrecker running today. Before any says it,Yes pics (video actually) is coming when I get the chance. I started work on her at about 9 AM. Had to fill the engine, transmission, power steering pump, and cooling system before I could even try to fire her. The place the previous owner had bought her from drained most of the fluids, Fortunatly the transfer case still had oil in it.
Found out after the fluid fill that the engine was stuck, along with a cracked oil pan. (sigh) so we started to pull injectors to see if we could see anything and maybe put some oil down on top of the pistons and check for hydro lock.
Well,,, After we got two sets of rockers loose we decided to bump it with the starter one more time,, engine started moving. Soooo,,,,, Tighen down the rockers, (WAY out of spec, a lot of quality time with the TM's in my future) Bump the starter a few more times and she started spinning!
After some more futzing around we got her to fire and run. Oil pressure about 85 PSI cold, little over 60 warm, holding coolant. Power steering works.
Going to be about a year before she actually sees any road time though, A LOT more work to do just to make her safe.
Finally got her running about 5 PM. A long but good day.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks