• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

And now, glow plugs.

msoumas

Still having starting trouble with the 1009, even after sorting out the air problem (I think). I decided to go ahead and check the glow plugs, two on the passenger's side failed test light check. Am I correct in assuming that even one dead plug can make starting difficult/impossible?

2deuce

It will be noticeably harder to start with one gp out and if your resister isn't bypassed the rest of them will go out very soon even if they are brand new. Replace the bad ones. Bypass your resister.

2deuce

If you do bypass the resister it does put more demand on the front battery. Take extra care to keep the battery posts/connections clean on that battery. Do a search on resister bypass for the benefits if you haven't already.

Last edited by a moderator:

rlwm211

Glow plugs are 6 volt devices. They rely on the resistor pack to lower the voltage to an acceptable level. Additionally, the resistor helps moderate the time factor for the thermal relay that controls the timing of the glow plug cycle. The resistor pack is a simple and goof proof device that protects your glow plugs from overvoltage.

Additionally, there is a temperature sensor in the head that either allows or disables the operation of the glow plug circuit depending on the engine termperature. 80 degrees is the cut off temperature where the engine should be warm enough to start without the glow plugs when the block is that warm.

You can alter the original system if you want to, but you are ignoring the engineering that went into the deisgn of ths system and the millions upon millions of GM diesels that are essentially identical as far as the glow plugs are concerned.

RL