• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anibody have a problem with the clutch/brake pedal position on the 5 ton?

scootertrs

My M818 runs like a sewing machine, has more power than... well my deuce... but, and it is a big, for me to apply the cluch or the brake, I have to pull my legup to the pedal... I guess a few falls from my bike (Indial Chief... 1947 makes my hip flexibility very limited. That being said, when I come to a stop I have to do so graceuslyor it will not ftop. A little story " My youngest son and I took her to make a coffee run. While there, a PO pulled in front to watch. Well, gyuess what, he comes to a rapid stop and I am having lifting my leg to lever it on the clutch and brake pedal... The geometry is such that I almost had to stand up in the cab to stop,... It seems that the cab area is smaller than my deuce and the geometry is definitely different. Any other members faced a similar situation? I am considering any and all options... from raising the seat to reshaping the brake arm The 5 ton cab just seems to be smaller and the the pedal arrangement more straight up and down. Thanks for the help

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hmmm...i kinda think its the same cab scooter...I haven't noticed much difference in seats, pedals etc....but truthfully I haven't paid attention.

I would just ask that you be super careful with that bad clutch leg. I have the same problem at times with my knee and if I know it's acting up I just don't drive an MV.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pedals do come out in a different location on the 5 tonners. There are 3 adjustments on the pedals themselves where they can be lowered a bit. This is accomplished from under the cab. The cab sheetmetal itself is the same.

scootertrs

I have done a bit more research and have noticed that my problerm is between my knee and the steering wheel. I guess I have a long lower leg and when I pull up to apply the clutch or the brake, my knee hits the steering wheel way before I can put my foot on the pedal. The brake pedal is not so bad because I just swing my knee out towards the shift lever and it is OK. The clutch is a different story... the window crank and door metal gets in the way. I wonder if something is different in my truck that it works this way. I am looking at the changing of the clkutch lever position, but have not figured it out yet. Thanks for the help

scootertrs

OK... got a solution... an elegant one at that!!! At my work 20 we have a machinist who was observing my dilemma. He saw what recovery4x4 said about the different places where you can pin the pedal to the actuator. on the 5 ton there are 3 and mine was already at the highest spot (the lowest pedal position ). We nboticed that there was a lot of room between the release of the clutch and the floor. He machined 4 additional slots (looking exactly the same as the original) on the pedal lowering the pedal position. Now my leg works fine... the brake and the clutch have plenty of travel and I don't have to open the door to hit the clutch anymore. It is all good. It is a mod that any good machinist can do in less than one hour. Thank you all.:-D

rlwm211

Scootertrs;

Glad to hear that you conquered the problem. I can sympathicize with your problems.

I lost my left leg in a car accident many years ago and the clutch is something I manage, easily with the deuce, and in some other vehicles I use, it is not so easy.

One thing I have learned is that given enough thought most, if not all, mechancal problems can be resolved so that I can manage using my left leg. Now, the dimmer switch can be a challenge with my boots on.

Another problem to solve. Well, it keeps me thinking.....

Best of luck and enjoy your truck!

RL

scootertrs

Well, I finally took her for a spin and she is a blast (specially when I don't have to open the driver's door to engage the clutch):-D I am very, very grateful that this site exists, because had it not been for recovery4x4's post and the help from the rest of you, I would not have come up with a direction for the solution. Thanks again recovery4x4 and the rest of you. I was considering selling her because I could not really drive her safely... Not now... Funny how someone in the next lane asks what that Pfft... sound was when I shifted into first... I told them it was the sprag switch... and they had this vacant look... I repeated... it is the sprag switch... a little knowledge is a dangerous thing... I had never heard of a sprag before ... anyway, I pfttd' into the sunset...

cundupa

I'm going to check my clutch pedal for adjustment, I thought it was just the fact these trucks were made for 18 year old kids to drive, not a middle age guy with a beer gut and bad knees!