• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Annapolis Road Trip Time

man2112

Hello all,
I know that this isn't necessarily a MV road trip, but I feel that this fits in here the best anyhow, so please bear with me :-D.

So on June 28th I report to Annapolis for my plebe year. My dad and I decided that this would be the best time to do a road trip, so we are going to be leaving this Thursday (the 14th) from Arizona, and arriving in the Annapolis area sometime on the 25th. We plan on driving straight from AZ to Barttlesville OK to spend a few days with my grandpa, and leave OK on the 18th, giving us a week to get to Annapolis. We are going to drive from OK to MD through the south, where neither of us have ever been.

So here in-lies the question: Attached is a map of our route that we plan to take. Do any of you all that live in or around the areas that we are passing through know of any places along the route that you would recommend, seeing/ eating at/ places that shouldn't be missed? Or places that should be avoided/ alternate routes to take instead?

Thanks!

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Globe,+AZ&daddr=Bartlesville,+OK+to:29.95722,-90.09365+to:30.28299,-81.62203+to:32.78643,-79.95348+to:33.69332,-78.88552+to:34.25757,-77.87053+to:36.86355,-76.27031+to:38.06491,-75.54803+to:United+States+Naval+Academy,+MD+(US+Naval+Academy)&hl=en&sll=33.063924,-91.494141&sspn=14.871493,19.753418&geocode=FS6O_QEdPohl-Sl_ANnWFZ4phzHVr57EafGghg%3BFS-4MAId7nJH-inxvcc2TxK3hzE2oSjV4ALw3g%3BFWQcyQEdrkeh-ikB-9sSk6UghjHpcii4rWomkQ%3BFe4UzgEd8osi-ym_FbiJarbliDEJYizANva1_w%3BFf5H9AEduAE8-ykLgHrvN3r-iDHd5ydpBsiJ4Q%3BFYgeAgIdcE1M-ymB9zn2qmkAiTHsz0GrM3iI7w%3BFaK6CgIdPspb-ymtzO9bzfSpiTElCRxvjDAV-g%3BFT5-MgIdGjV0-ymTyfl-ipe6iTGvxlnejq2EVw%3BFQ7TRAIdgjp_-ynfeYphlHK5iTF_4j3S2vyOSQ%3BFenXUgIdhOpw-yEpyOEFTzDlBA&mra=ls&via=2,3,4,5,6,7,8&t=m&z=5

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I copy. What is it like down by the coast?
Think of the SE coast as one long city. A really "LONG" city. That you are trying to get across during rush hour.
I can tell you that from Jacksonville north, US17 is very busy during the summer. Lots of small towns, with the one purpose of getting as much of your money as they can. Higher gas prices, higher motel rooms, higher food prices, plus each town has a police force, and they take a "DIM" view of folks from AZ going thru the town at more then 1MPH over the posted.
Looking at the map, the only decent part of you trip is the part where you are forced inland in NC.
Do you have to travel right on the coast? A better bet from Jacksonville north would be US 301. From there, you can hit the high points of the coast, and stay out of the local beach traffic.
301 to Jesup, the 84 into Savannah. if you get a room, stay out by the interstate- lots of rooms, and it's a cutthoart business. Vsit Tybee island, great beach, old lighthouse. From Savannah, take I-95 north to Walterboro, then ALT US 17 over to Summerville. From there, duck into Charleston, visit the slave auction, the battery, and if you have time the Yorktown, and take the boat out to Fort Sumter, where the recent unpleasantness started. Stay out near Summerville for the cheaper rooms. From Chas, take 17 north to Georgetown. From there, go to CONWAY, then north into NC. I would not go in to Myrtle Bch, unless I just had to visit a tourist trap. The whole place is designed to relieve you of as much cash as they can. Plus, it will take you 2+ hours to get from the south end to the north end.
Wilmington NC is a nice place to visit also.
One thing- remember, this is the south, and you are from AZ. We have humidity here. And Thank You for your service to the United States:mrgreen::jumpin::cookoo:

Last edited:

Ripcord01

^^ Must eat a lot of steamed crabs while you are here in MD. The Naval Acadamy is great! You will love the area of Annapolis. Women. Food..Beer....ANd more BEERs. Things are expensive here and they tax everything..

man2112

Thank you all for all of the posts so far, especially EMD567. I am going to go back and re-look at the map right now.

Warthog, we have made the drive from AZ to Tulsa before, so we plan on just driving straight through until we get to Barttlesville.

And we have been dreaming about the seafood for a while!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks