• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Annoying clanking

Hasdrubal

Thought i would throw this out there,in case someone has experienced this...Few days ago my M1009 daily driver develops this intermittent metallic clanking sound from underneath the truck.Its not the motor,comes on as you start moving,,ie,under load,then goes away..let off the throttle and it clanks a bit also.Sound like a exhaust heat shield rattling,but I dont have any.So,checked everything..nothing loose,but one muffler started to rust out on bottom.Really sounds like a perhaps a loose baffle or pipe banging away,so replaced it today but that wasn't the cause.Back to square one...anybody???

rdixiemiller

I'd bet strongly on a u-joint. Block the wheels securely, put the vehicle in neutral, and crawl under. Check all joints for wobble or looseness. An old trick is to look for rust on the spider. That usually indicates that a cap is bad and the bearings are turning to dust and leaking out.

clanks...

you didn't mention the speed of the clanking.a fast clank,accompanied by vibration ,on acceleration is likely a u-joint.the rear pinion will rotate upwards slightly on acceleration,making the proplem more evident.it's likely the rear one.

another possibility is a lose or sloppy trans case out put yoke.a bad slip on a 208 (which i assume you have) will behave a-lot like a bad joint.it's often accompanied by seal leaks however.
An annoying buzz/rattle on my 1010 drove me nuts till i noticed a loose nut on the fuel tank skid plate bolts.a quik wrench and problem solved.

Hasdrubal

Well now that I turned the stereo down,most of the time the noise is more like a squeek...still cant figure it out but will check those fuel tank skid plate bolts.it does sound like its coming from the rear.

Blake

m1009 noise

Mine was making a noise like that and it turned out to be the "back support bracket" on the starter that goes from the round part of the starter to the engine block was loose and vibrating. Tightened both screws up and the noise was gone.

littlebob

Not familiar with that particular vehicle, but I had a Chevy pickup that had a two piece driveshaft making a lot of HP when I was younger and I had to change quite a few driveshaft support bearings before I built a better one.

littlebob

Hasdrubal

Jones you were right. It was a rear u-joint on transfer case side. Needle bearings were being crushed inside cap causing squeek. Easy fix...they were the original u-joints ..94,000 miles, replaced both with greasable units.