• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another air pressure thread.

dslucas

Not an emergency. I still build air pressure just fine. Problem is, I noticed about an hour after I shut down the truck, the air pressure has bled off completely. Should I start worrying about this, or just let it go and keep an eye on it?

peashooter

Sounds like a pretty good leak, certainly one I would try to fix if it were my truck. I've had leaks the take 2-3 days to drain the system but they made enough noise that I could track down the general area by sound and then use a brush with some soapy water to figure out exactly where it was coming from. I'd think with your leak that it should be quite easy to track down by just listening

steelandcanvas

That is a pretty fair leak. Is the valve at the emergency gladhand in the off position? With that being at the rear of the truck, you may not be able to hear it as well as other leaks. If that isn't it, get out the soap like Peashooter suggests and find the leak.

KsM715

Federal law on a air assisted hydraulic system? When was the last time someone had DOT do a full inspection on the their deuce?

The leak? Not something I would lose any sleep over but something to checkout when you have some free time on a Saturday. (Pressurize the system and break out the spray bottle with some soapy water and start looking)

Jeepsinker

The shutoff valves themselves leak on mine. They leak right where the shaft goes into the housing from the handle. Can be hard to hear until you remove the gladhand covers.

quickfarms

I think federal law is no more that 3psi in one minute.
You are correct it is part of the COLA test that you are required to perform every day as part of your pretrip.

I had a full level one inspection about 11 months ago.

The rule of thumb is that if enough air leaks out during lunch to trip the low air warning it is time to find the leak.

dslucas

Ok. Definitely something for me to Saturday then. Good call on the rear gladhand leak, steelandcanvas. I was mucking about with them a week ago when putting on my new license plate. I am going to check there first. IF not there....off to grab the soap and water bottle.

Thanks, guys.

ATPTac

Honestly, with a leak of that size, you should be able to hear it leaking. I'd get the air system fully charged and then shut the truck down and just listen for a leak. If you have no luck there, then result to soapy water.

dslucas

Did that. No dice. You would think I could hear it but I can't. That's why I was kind of thinking the glad hands in the back. If not...I am going to have to resort to soap and water. I know that the air compressor is putting out 120 psi now, even at idle. I thought in another thread that maybe because I had left the windshield wipers on high, that that was the problem. I have them completely shut off and no leaks...I checked. I started it up and let it build full pressure, then shut it off. Crawled under and around the entire truck and cannot hear a leak. Funny thing is, as I drive it and use the brakes, it doesn't seem to drop air pressure that much....certainly not enough to give a low air pressure warning, as long as the engine is running. Right now, I am getting my house fixed up to sell, and working during the week, so I am going to have to try to take a closer look on Saturday. I will post what I find. If I don't find anything obvious...I am going to crack open the TMs.

jetman10

My problem is this . I have a '66 Kaiser/Jeep which I bobbed ,and I had a good hard brake pedal, but no air assist . I installed a seal set in the booster and now "O" brakes ! What did I do wrong ? I went exactly by the instructions . I hate to spend the money for a new one ! Help ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks