• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Alternator problem

CCATLETT1984

it seems like you have a huge draw on the 12v system in the truck, like a dead short. Check the connections around the alternator and that distribution block on the firewall for shorted wires. Also check the chassis ground thats on the passenger frame rail near the front battery (they are known for causing issues when they rot away).

cjkeeliii

Bobert: I'm having basically the same trouble with my m1008. I'm looking for a short or exploded wire in my electrical system; if I find anything that might help you, I'll post it here.

crusty

I think you may need to replace the fusible links rather than change them to fuse holders. The links are able to withstand an over current condition much longer than a fuse. Checking the resistance of the glow plugs might be worthwhile as something must have shorted to burn a link. Is it possible that someone tried to replace an alternator with an internally grounded unit? Does the truck have a push button to override the glow controller? Too much on time on the glow plugs could over stress the fusible links.

CCATLETT1984

the glow plugs get power from the 24v part of the electrical system, through that big set of resistors on the firewall. Also they have their own fusible links protecting them.

the fuse holders should be fine, although I as a rule always replace a fusible link with a fusible link.
remove all the wires from the 12v distribution block on the firewall, then one at a time add them back, this will tell you which is causing the issue. then you can go to the wiring schematics and figure out the circuit to check.

Bobert

Those sound like good ideas, my dad has been working on it while I've been away. He got it to work today by putting in 40amp fuses in the holders.

He said the fusable links at OReilly's weren't the same.

30- 40 amps seems like a bit much, but they haven't burned out yet. When I get it home I will check the individual circuits. I even have another alternator I can try.

Is it possible that those fusable links were fine and now the 40A fuses are ok, and that those idiots at the shop caused all my problems when they tryed to jump start a bad starter?

It seems strange that all my electrical problems started the day I got it back from them.