• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Camp Shelby M931 recovery

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday I went with CSM Davis to pick up the M931 that I won a month ago. This is the first 939 series truck for me, so I picked up a lot of new tricks and tidbits about this model. This truck was in another lot, not the normal DRMO/GL lot at Camp Shelby. This lot has hundreds of 5-ton trucks waiting for the rebuilds that never came.

The GOOD
:
- Singled, 1400 tires with almost new tread. Not sure yet if I like them better than the duals.
- Started fairly quickly with a jump :jumpin:from GL's Meleeta driving her M931A2, idled for several hours and drove about 20 miles to Jeff's place. According to the bumper, it had not been started since late '09.
- The wheels were not frozen. It was kinda disturbing watching other 931's being dragged around the yard with locked axles, but it probably didn't hurt anything. There were a lot of trucks being picked up due to the holiday closures.
- Unlike a LOT of the other trucks in that yard, my truck was not missing fuel tank caps, steering arms, or other engine or truck parts from the rebuild personnel scavenging for parts from the to-be-rebuilt trucks in the yard. I was amazed at the number of trucks with no tank caps open to the rain while in storage several years :shock:. Someone said they needed to get 500 caps, so they just went through the trucks in the yard:cry: They didn't show this in the auction photos.
- one fuel tank was full and the other about 3/4 full :grin:.
- I clocked Jeff at 61 mph on the road and he said it wasn't above 2000 rpms:driver:

The BAD
- one of the tires will need to be replaced due to badly cracked sidewall from being flat so long (and possibly dragged with a flat tire). It held pressure long enough to drive 20 miles
- found that the fan was not running, and the engine temp went over 240 degrees while idling, but dropped to normal while traveling - wrenching in my future.
- small oil leak from the oil filter housing (I hope)
- the soft top windshield seam let go before we got off base, but gorilla tape sealed it enough for Jeff to stay dry in the rain showers. No big deal, since I already planned to put a hard top on it anyway.

Overall, I'm excited about my foray into the M939 series trucks, and very happy about the luck of the draw from my bid - I could have just as easily gotten one of the draggers with missing parts. One photo is following the truck on the road, and the other at Jeff's place.
20130108_142927.jpg20130108_132046.jpg

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you plan to flatbed ship it to Aggieland, CSM Davis is your man, so PM him. His price to recover it to his place is reasonable, and you can pick it up there at your convienence.

goldneagle

Congrats on the new ride. Looks good! If you need any help with it let me know. I am getting pretty familiar with the truck now. :tank: my new smiley contribution!

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That smiley is probably as close to a tracked vehicle as I'll ever be able to afford.:cry:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrates on the big truck, I've been tossing around the idea of picking some thing up too. Not being able to preview scares me.
If I can't preview, I budget an additional $800-1200 to get a truck home and running, and if it can't be repaired, it's only worth the sum of parts or scrap value. After too times of paying WAY too much for an item, I've learned to bid real low and hope for luck. If I don't win the bid, at least I didn't loose any money, and there will be other auctions. I couldn't preview that event as I was working in NJ, so I bid so that my costs could be recouped at the scrap yard if necessary.

Before I learned to preview, I spent $500 and drove 650 miles round-trip to Hooks TX to pick up a lot that I ended up thowing in a dumpster. That also taught me that GL photos can lie.

goldneagle

If I can't preview, I budget an additional $800-1200 to get a truck home and running, and if it can't be repaired, it's only worth the sum of parts or scrap value. After too times of paying WAY too much for an item, I've learned to bid real low and hope for luck. If I don't win the bid, at least I didn't loose any money, and there will be other auctions. I couldn't preview that event as I was working in NJ, so I bid so that my costs could be recouped at the scrap yard if necessary.

Before I learned to preview, I spent $500 and drove 650 miles round-trip to Hooks TX to pick up a lot that I ended up thowing in a dumpster. That also taught me that GL photos can lie.
What do you expect from GL after-all they are used car salesmen. :tank:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks