• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another CDL question..m275

HELLRIDER

Hi, everyone! I just purchased an m275 with two axle command trailer. Do I need a CDL to drive this truck, with the trailer empty? From the information I got, the tractor data plate say's 12000 lbs. The owner listed the trailer weight to be 1310.....I am guessing 13,100 lbs. It is in Ohio, going to Connecticut. I do have a friend with a CDL, and i'm trying to schedule the trip, so he can go. Also...any thoughts on using a dealer plate? I am a truck mechanic, and I have all the tools and equipment that I need. I also have spare parts for a deuce to bring. Any thoughts, would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ultimate rally camper!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are your home state's laws? Is that an air over hydraulic trailer or just straight air? Some states require some form of higher licensing if a vehicle is x length, or a combination vehicle (such as a fifthwheel trailer setup)

I sure wish the states and Feds would make everything the same everywhere. Would really cut down on these CDL threads!

Hope that m275 has a turboed engine. Nice rig!

spicergear

It should be something like this: under 26,000 and no straight air brakes- NO CDL required. 26,001 and up CDL for weight, straight air brakes and you need an air brake endorsement.

PA now has anything over 10,001 lbs gross vehicle weight for trailers needs CDL. Hence the reason you see so many 9,990lbs gross trailers.

A 26,000lb gross weight truck with a 10,000lb gross trailer is fully legal going down the highway at a max of 36,000lbs. 10,001lb trailer and it must be registered in combination with the truck so the whole deal puts you in CDL class. It's complicated and this is a crappy nutshell example. To drive a deuce or deuce tractor you need no CDL.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the trailer is straight air brakes, the deuce tractor is not capable of operating the brakes sufficiently(It's in the TM).

HELLRIDER

@clinto Oh Yeahhhh! ..... @steelandcanvas..It is a 1963. @ferroequinologist....not sure if it is air over hyd. Yeah, i'm still checking Ct. laws. You are right, they should make everything the same! Real confusing. It is a turbo. :) @spicergear.. Thanks for the info, hope my buddy can go, just to be safe! @doghead Yeah, I agree. not sure yet if it is straight air. Is it possible the tractor is straight air? From what I understand, this truck has been driven with this trailer. The guy says it runs and drives fine. I'm not super worried, i have a few backup plans.

quickfarms

Most states are now following federal regulations that state a trailer over 10000 lbs requires a class a.

Additionally the tractor is a stick and the air over hydraulic brakes require the air brake endorsement in California.

The problem is that this is not really a commercial vehicle so you need to see what your state says provided the truck and trailer are registered there.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I own an M275 and you will not make it far dragging that trailer....it was all mine could do to haul an expando van 80 miles from Redstone.

I also had one of those trailers that I bought from GL Fort Campbell.......they are HEAVY.....I pulled it back from Campbell with my first M915. It was a slow ride back.

It is now holding down a spot at my buddy's scrap yard and I was glad to see it go.

Does the trailer have air ride (mine did...also an air ride king pin plate).....the M275 will never keep up with the air needed to brake and keep those bags inflated.

Do yourself and the motoring public at large a favor and have the trailer pulled with a "Power Only Unit" and if you just want a long slow trip you can drive the M275 back.

Trust me....it is no fun driveing 30 MPH on the interstate and having commercial rigs run up on your azz at 70 MPH and swerve around you at the last minute.......not to mention all the texting while driving idiots out there waiting to run under that trailer.

I'm not busting your chops but I been there and done that and you don't want a piece of it.....trust me.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm told the boys are down for the night, sleepy time. No problems and the truck runs very well.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just passed you in downtown Parkersburg Wv ... you have a head light burnt out .... looks and sounds great tho! good luck on your trip!

Chaffed wire, headlight malfunction repaired this morning. Tractor equipped with 1100's and runs 60mph on the flat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks