• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another CDL Thread -- Illinois

Ma Duce

After reading another thread on 923s and the comment about CDLs, I thought I would post this.

Yesterday, I had to schedule a seminar on CDL requirements for our business agent training coming up next month.

In doing so I spent a fair amount of time on the phone with the head of CDLs inthe State of Illinois. This came about becuase of a letter being sent to all CDL holders about medical information and a new DOT regulation/database.

If you are a private party using your truck for personal use -- not commercial, not production agriculture, just running around, going to the Home Depot moving your new girl friend in. You DO NOT need a CDL to operate any of our trucks.

What you do need is a Class B endorsement for anything over 26,001 GVWR, providing the towed vehicle is not more than 10,000. i.e. bobtail tractor, 5 ton what ever. you get 36,000 total.

You would need a Class A for a tractor trailer/combination of 26,001 and more than 10,000 being towed. Or I would think a 5 ton flat towing a 5 ton.

I inquired about the airbrake endorsement for bobtailing a 915 or even a 5 ton. He said that th eonly way to get an air brake endorsement is with a CDL. They do not issue air brake endorsements for non-CDL Class A or B endorsements. And he stated you don't need them for your private vehicle.

I know this will start a few debates, but since this came from the guy who runs the whole CDL program for the state, I would pass it on.

BTW you need a Class B for a tank -- I asked.

lankyevilme

I have a class A non CDL in Illinois with air brake endorsement. It was just issued by the DMV a year and a half ago. I had to take the same test as a CDL driver, but don't have to do the expensive drug testing stuff.

Ma Duce

wow. He said they don't issue them that way. Wouldn't you guess what goes on in the field is different that what they say happens. Oh well. I'll see what they do when I go for mine. . . .

cornrichard

Did you look into what plate you would purchase in this case? I use my trucks for production ag. I would like to also be able to go pick up items from auctions in other states. If there was a reasonably priced personal plate I would license one of my spare trucks and be all set.

I had a CDL and dropped it to a class A. The state was going to make me join a drug testing pool at a cost of over $200 a year. All this just to haul grain a few days a year.

Ma Duce

I'm working on a FMV plate for the green addiction. hope to have it finished and drafted inthe next week or so, then introduced in January.

Westex

Well you got a thanks from me because I've been pondering this for some time. Here in Texas I have the big 923 and only have a regular dl, and for the record, I'm just going to haul flowers in it. It's just my FUN vehicle.

ryan77

I rented a big full size penske truck with air brakes last week and was thinking how the heck they rent this or allow the average person to drive this with no cdl !!! Same with the giant motorhomes you have to have a license for a scooter but not a 40' motor home!!!!!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yeah I am going to have to do the run down on all the states I will be traveling through on my move next year. We are looking at moving to Tennessee to be near my parents who are getting elderly to help them out and for my wife to take over the family business. I will have my M-61 loaded up on the back end and my 25' gooseneck and 20' flatbed double pulled or my 53' gooseneck by itself behind it. With my 2 F250s, crown victoria and other furniture. I think I can load most of my furniture, my bigger F-250, and my crown victoria on my 53' and be safe. So I will have to go through all the state DOTs and get the run down on their laws and fuel tax's and weight restrictions. Here in Montana it is registered as a farm truck to 48k GVW without a CDL but I am hoping there is some reciprocity agreements till i get there.

If you do get a CDL you will have to remember to keep physical card with you and renew it every 2 years . the CDL is only good with it even if you are driving a smaller vehicle .

captain-crank

DL and vehicle requirements are something every individual needs to look into his or herself.

Internet forums, although helpful, are not an official source for this information.

When stopped by CMV enforcement, you will find that ignorance of the law is not a valid excuse.

My2cents

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The OP did point out pretty clearly that this was just his information regarding IL, not anywhere else.

But that never stopped any of us before...............

JOEDEUCE

Not a bad idea to have a copy of whatever law law you are trying to adhere to, in the truck, for example if you are driving a 5 ton and dont have a CDL , you may want to have the law in hand for when your friendly and un-informed LEO pulls you over. If you lived in Virginia, you will understand why im saying this . Lol

grunex125

I've been studying this issue here in MN and from what I understand in MN you will need a DOT number for anything over 26,001 and you will need a class A cdl for the same. The only exception is if you are farming and hauling farm related produce. Then you will need a DOT number, but you are exempt from having to get a Class A CDL.

A good practice if you are running one of the big boys is to check to see if you need an IFTA registration as well

tcody

I've been studying this issue here in MN and from what I understand in MN you will need a DOT number for anything over 26,001 and you will need a class A cdl for the same. The only exception is if you are farming and hauling farm related produce. Then you will need a DOT number, but you are exempt from having to get a Class A CDL.

A good practice if you are running one of the big boys is to check to see if you need an IFTA registration as well
I always thought this was the same for IL with one exception; if the vehicle is a motorhome. Put a heater and a generator in it and a box on the back and a few other things and you are officially a motorhome - exempt from CDL.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks