• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another crank with no fuel

Jackel44

I just bought a 84 m1009. Before I bought it, I test drove it for about a half an hour. I came back 2 days later and payed him for it. I drove it home (about 45 min drive). I ran some erans. Starting it about a total of about 5 times. On my way home the water in fuel light came on. I went to drive it the next day and it turned over, but would not fire. I spent the next day reading on this forum.

Things I have done not in order:
The tank was about 3/8 full, I added 5 gallons of fresh fuel.
I changed fuel filter and used my vacuum pump to get air out.
I turned it over with a jar under the bleed hose and it placed about 1/4 inch of fuel in a short burst. (fuel was slightly yellow in color)
I removed batteries and and had them load tested and charged up.
I checked all glow plugs and they are all good.
I checked 4 glow plugs and they turn on and off when they are suppose too.
I checked the pink wire going to the fuel shut-off and when you turn the key it gets power.

I ordered a gp board from antennaclimber (knowing that was not my problem)
I have on order from napa the gp relay and the relay to do the doghead starter mod.
Change all glow plugs

My next steps in my mind. (again not in any order)
Get a tachometer and see if the starters are turning the engine fast enough.
Check compression (when I change glow plugs)
Change the fuel cut-out solenoid
put a fuel pressure gauge on the out of the filter to see if I have appropriate pressure.

What do you think I should do next?

BigWill1985

Chances are, you have run some water into the injector pump. The right way to fix the problem, is to drop the tank, drain it, and refill it with new fuel. Also, use the lift pump to purge all contaminated fuel from the fuel lines. Replace the fuel filter, and make sure the entire filter is refilled with fresh fuel. Purge all lines as best you can, and make sure you are getting fuel to the injector pump. Also, crack fuel lines at the injectors and crank. You should get a spray of fuel from each fuel line while cranking. Figure out where the break in fuel flow is coming from, and we can go from there.

~Will Courtier~

Jackel44

Wouldn't I get some sort of watery fuely mixture out the pipe? I am currently getting nothing but air.
I will crack the lines on the injectors and crank it and see what comes out.

BigWill1985

You need to start from the fuel tank, and work towards the injectors. Verify you have fuel at the outlet of the lift pump when the key is switched on. Once that is verified, follow the line to the fuel filter. Make sure the filter is getting a good flow of fuel at the inlet and outlet, once the fuel filter is replaced. Crack open the T-valve on top of the motor, and make sure you have steady fuel flow when the lift pump is jumped. You should have a good, strong fuel flow from the vent line (not just a trickle). Once you are 100% sure the injector pump is getting a steady flow of good fuel, you can move to the injector pump.

In essence, you want to start with the simple things first. Make sure ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING in your fuel system is functioning correctly before you start throwing other parts at it. Injector pumps aren't cheap, and you want to take good care of them. My bet is that you have filled the injector pump and the associated lines with water, and the injector pump won't pump it as well as the diesel fuel. You need to start with what you know. You know that the water-in-fuel light came on. That is caused by water build-up in the water/fuel separator (inside of the fuel filter housing). Get rid of the water, and make sure there isn't any more water before you move on.

As far as getting a watery fuel mixture out of the pipe, don't plan on it. Just think of how much fuel/water would have to pass through the motor to reach that point. Generally, you will see a white/greyish smoke coming from the exhaust during cranking when there is a low fuel scenario.

~Will Courtier~

Jackel44

I appreciate your advice. I wanted to replace problematic parts at it, due to It's going to be a daily driver. I have good fuel preasure at the filter. I cracked the line on injector #1 and and cranked it over. Fuel came out of the line and then the rigged fired right up.

Before I start driving it, I will drop the tank anyway to replace the rubber fuel lines.

Thanks again

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks