• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Deuce tractor conversion

jrobinson5093

I recently got my fifth wheel and spare tire holder for my conversion. It came off a M818. I noticed on the fifth wheel, that there are 2 plates on either side that bolt to pieces of angle on the out side of the frame. It looks like I can turm the plates in and bolt them stright through the frame, is this possible and be safe? I dont see why it needs to be so wide. Any advice from any one who as done this conversion would be welcomed.

RAYZER

I have encountered all of the pitfalls on this conversion that you are planning,and would be glad to answer any questions that you might have.
You can eliminate the angle pieces and use the thick flat bar pieces for spacers,throughbolting it all to the top of the frame.
Check out the thread link in my signature to my conversion.

jrobinson5093

Yea we met I walked over and met you at your truck, you seemed a little busy so I tried not to bother you long. But I took the chance to look over a few things and To see how much your trailer weighed. To me it was the nicest looking truck there.

I am not 100% sure but I don't think that the fifth wheel was through bolted on the top edge of the M818 frame. Usually things are tried to be mounted to the sides of the frame to not loose any strength in the top edge of the frame. By drilling the top of the frame for those bolts you are removing a large amount of material that is crucial in the structure of the frame. I would stick with the original design and leave the spacers and right angle and bolt to the side of the frame.

jrobinson5093

I got the tire carrier rack on today. I still have to hook the lines up. I welded some tabs to the top of the tool box to strap down the ammo can. I had to use my wrecker to put the tire up there. once I get every thing mounted I will tear it all back apart for paint. I still need to figure out how im gonna mount the fifth wheel.

Attachments

jrobinson5093

Rayzer, how did you deal with the rivet heads on top of the frame under where the fifth wheel needs to go? I also have looked at some M275 pictures and all the fifth wheels I have seen on the dont have the spacer plates under the fifth wheel and are bolted through the top of the frame.

jrobinson5093

I hope to find a short flat bed trailer and I am wanting to build myself a camper out of a Military trailer. The biggest thing I would plan on moving would be another truck around the size of a deuce.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rayzer, how did you deal with the rivet heads on top of the frame under where the fifth wheel needs to go? I also have looked at some M275 pictures and all the fifth wheels I have seen on the dont have the spacer plates under the fifth wheel and are bolted through the top of the frame.
See the pic from Tlauden's M275 post. If I remember correctly, four of the bolt line up perfectly with rivet holes. The other 6 holes have to be drilled with great effort. Borrow a mag drill if you don't have one. The spacer plates are a piece of cake to make if you do not have them.

Attachments

RAYZER

yes. the frame was drilled between the rivets for the through bolts.
The origional 5 ton spacers were cut off,turned around , threaded holes drilled out ,and relived underneath to clear the rivets.
you could use any flat stock for spacers.

Last edited:

jrobinson5093

I have the five ton spacer plates. so I need to grind reliefs in them for the rivet heads. I would think that the fifth wheel would be centered between the front and rear axels, is this correct?

RAYZER

I have the five ton spacer plates. so I need to grind reliefs in them for the rivet heads. I would think that the fifth wheel would be centered between the front and rear axels, is this correct?
I placed mine just forward of center,that will allow the through bolts between rivets. a drill press and a large drill bit to drill releif holes works best .
if you dont have a mag drill, you can use a reamer to enlarge a smaller pilot hole to size.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The fifth wheel should go just a bit forward of the rear trunnion, this will transfer some weight to the front axle to help in steering, IF the fifth wheel is at or behind the trunnion, the weight will transfer to the rear, taking the weight OFF the front axle, causing lite steering and pushing the front axle in corners.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks