• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Diagnostic Thread

Jonas947

When i got my M1078 A1 The CTIS Computer made some weird Things, so i got my ICE-Diagnostic tool to check some Faults. It said no Faults detected. So i got to the Troubleshooting feature form the engine to read the Engine Fault codes. I was just curious . While it was checking i detectet a Bad smell and smoke comes out of the right side of the dash. After i Few Minutes i detected that the Termination resistor under PDP got hot and burned. so i plugged him out. Atm the truck runs normal. Sometimes he has some cold start Problems (i think thats an other Problem)

Does anyone has an idea what could be the cause for that Problem? I dont want to ruin another resistor

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are not many resistors on the truck, most are resistive heating elements. It sounds like this is the termination resistor on the data bus. Sheet 7 on the schematic…
That would be a pretty wild thing to "burn up" as the J1939 bus is all low voltage. I have never heard of such a thing and I deal with CANBUS regularly enough to know what the high and low waveforms look like...... they are typically +/- 1v.

Jonas947

I´m pretty sure it´s on sheet 7 163 Termination Resistor R12 i can check the numbers tomorrow my truck has the WTEC 3 Controler and an CAT 3126
i can make some pictures of the diagnostic tool later.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unplug it and check the voltage on the bus. And yeah - what diagnostic tool are you using exactly? I would be checking that it was plugged in correctly and nothing is shorted because burning up a termination resistor is some serious shit and I would be worried it could damage modules on the bus if somehow 12v or 24v got into the CAN H or L wires. Proceed with utmost caution.

coachgeo

@Jonas947 -- can I step out of line a little to throw a hint your way.... it really does helps others when members in here create Thread Titles that do more than just hint at the content of the thread. Makes it easier for dumb people like me ahhh I mean :D folk doing searches to find threads on topic they want to educate themselves on prior to asking clarification questions, or starting new threads.

just something to go hmmmmmmm:unsure:(y):D

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I read as much as I could find here on SS about the ICE-Diagnostic Toot. I'm still a little confused (not uncommon for me) about what this tool can do for me with my M1083A1. Can one of you in the know elaborate on it?
Thanks!

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where are those CD's available for the ICE interface? I've got the hardware, but not the software. I'm having engine issues.....

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where are those CD's available for the ICE interface? I've got the hardware, but not the software. I'm having engine issues.....
The CD's that come with the ICE kit are manuals only. They contain no software other than the manual viewer application. The ICE kit interface software is located on the MSD laptop - for which the STE-ICE kit is a basic issue item of. The MSD laptops are significantly less common and in any case have their hard drives removed and shredded so any software they once contained in service is gone.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I read as much as I could find here on SS about the ICE-Diagnostic Toot. I'm still a little confused (not uncommon for me) about what this tool can do for me with my M1083A1. Can one of you in the know elaborate on it?
Thanks!
The Standard Test Equipment/Internal Combustion Engines (STE/ICE) is capable of a lot of functions. In particular besides the Dearborn Adapter that is a generic J1939 adapter and talks to the engine, transmission, ABS, etc with the correct software, the rest of the kit is basically a DVOM that uses the MSD laptop as it's screen.

The soldier boots up the EMS (Electronic Maintenance System) software and it interfaces to the ICE. You pick a troubleshooting task and it will walk you through the tests and record the readings from the ICE - which is then used to branch the troubleshooting procedure to determine the next appropriate diagnostic step.

Lostchain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This depends on if you have an A0 or A1 truck.
I elaborate below but the quick answer is, for A1 the non military software is better than the IETMs for troubleshooting the electronic subsystems of the truck. For an A0 you do need the military software for the ICE interconnect box to be able to take readings from the truck and report them to your PC.

If you have the DPA III Plus adapter that normally comes with the ICE kit, you can download the drivers online from DGtech. You will want the “legacy” drivers which, last time I was on their site, had a picture of the military version of the adapter. Once you load the drivers there are a few basic applications included for free that will pull the codes from all of your subsystems. When I first connected mine it pulled codes from CTIS, ABS, engine and transmission. If you want to dive into the weeds of these systems you will need the vendor specific software. For example for CTIS you would want the Dana Diagnostic Tool. This will let you reprogram pressure settings and troubleshoot/test the system. Anyone trying to work on CTIS without this is going to struggle. For the engine you would need CAT ET. This costs money normally but if you are crafty online you can find “cracked” versions. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but for the ABS you would use Wabco software, and the transmission is Allison Doc I think. All of this is only using the DPA III Plus.

the rest of the ICE kit is mainly used for taking readings and feeding that data back into the military IETM software so that it can analyze the results and walk you through the troubleshooting steps. Most of what that unit does can be replicated with other manual means like a Voltmeter and pressure gauges. On an A1 FMTV you do most of the interfacing with the J1913 port and the DPA. The older A0 trucks and other military vehicles like the humvee have the DCA port which is used to tap into a lot of the sensors of those older platforms. The ICE interconnection Box let’s you interface with that connector and take readings on your computer if you have the right ICE software.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Standard Test Equipment/Internal Combustion Engines (STE/ICE) is capable of a lot of functions. In particular besides the Dearborn Adapter that is a generic J1939 adapter and talks to the engine, transmission, ABS, etc with the correct software, the rest of the kit is basically a DVOM that uses the MSD laptop as it's screen.

The soldier boots up the EMS (Electronic Maintenance System) software and it interfaces to the ICE. You pick a troubleshooting task and it will walk you through the tests and record the readings from the ICE - which is then used to branch the troubleshooting procedure to determine the next appropriate diagnostic step.
Okay, I followed that. So, if I had the ICE kit I would still need the MSD laptop and the EMS software to do troubleshooting and test. Mmm, I guess then buying a ICE kit is kind of a moot issue then?

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This depends on if you have an A0 or A1 truck.
I elaborate below but the quick answer is, for A1 the non military software is better than the IETMs for troubleshooting the electronic subsystems of the truck. For an A0 you do need the military software for the ICE interconnect box to be able to take readings from the truck and report them to your PC.

If you have the DPA III Plus adapter that normally comes with the ICE kit, you can download the drivers online from DGtech. You will want the “legacy” drivers which, last time I was on their site, had a picture of the military version of the adapter. Once you load the drivers there are a few basic applications included for free that will pull the codes from all of your subsystems. When I first connected mine it pulled codes from CTIS, ABS, engine and transmission. If you want to dive into the weeds of these systems you will need the vendor specific software. For example for CTIS you would want the Dana Diagnostic Tool. This will let you reprogram pressure settings and troubleshoot/test the system. Anyone trying to work on CTIS without this is going to struggle. For the engine you would need CAT ET. This costs money normally but if you are crafty online you can find “cracked” versions. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but for the ABS you would use Wabco software, and the transmission is Allison Doc I think. All of this is only using the DPA III Plus.

the rest of the ICE kit is mainly used for taking readings and feeding that data back into the military IETM software so that it can analyze the results and walk you through the troubleshooting steps. Most of what that unit does can be replicated with other manual means like a Voltmeter and pressure gauges. On an A1 FMTV you do most of the interfacing with the J1913 port and the DPA. The older A0 trucks and other military vehicles like the humvee have the DCA port which is used to tap into a lot of the sensors of those older platforms. The ICE interconnection Box let’s you interface with that connector and take readings on your computer if you have the right ICE software.
Okay...

I have an A1. So having the DPA III Plus adaptor that comes with the ICE Kit I can do some basic checks and pull codes with the Legacy drivers. I would need another tool, Dana Diagnostic Tool, and I assume at many $$$, to work with the CTIS system.

As for the CAT ET, I don't consider "crafty online", but I do know enough to be dangerous, which means I can get myself out of trouble pretty quick, but I can also get into trouble quicker.

How easy is it to get the Wabco software for the ABS and the Allison Doc for the transmission? I guess I'll have to see how much trouble I can get into now.

Thanks for the info!

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, I followed that. So, if I had the ICE kit I would still need the MSD laptop and the EMS software to do troubleshooting and test. Mmm, I guess then buying a ICE kit is kind of a moot issue then?
The software is out there. Just not on this forum. PM me and we'll get you squared away.

CAT ET is out there. Again PM me and we'll get you sorted out.

The DANA CTIS diagnostic software is actually free to download on their site.

Allison Doc is an issue I'm still working on. Even the military doesn't have that one at the unit level. As I said I'm working on that.

Lostchain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay...

I have an A1. So having the DPA III Plus adaptor that comes with the ICE Kit I can do some basic checks and pull codes with the Legacy drivers. I would need another tool, Dana Diagnostic Tool, and I assume at many $$$, to work with the CTIS system.
Drivers for the DPA III Plus *should* be at the following link, however their website is down right now so I was unable to verify, I would check back after the new-year when their IT guys get back in LOL.

https://www.dgtech.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/DPAInstall.exe

This should be the link to the Dana Diagnostic tool, as previously mentioned its free.

As for the CAT ET, I don't consider "crafty online", but I do know enough to be dangerous, which means I can get myself out of trouble pretty quick, but I can also get into trouble quicker.
Sounds like @GeneralDisorder is willing to hook you up with this.

How easy is it to get the Wabco software for the ABS and the Allison Doc for the transmission? I guess I'll have to see how much trouble I can get into now.

Thanks for the info!
I haven't needed those yet so I haven't put the research in to find them. My ABS codes that the Dearborn software told me about were related to my M1082 Trailer. I think I have enough info from that code to start troubleshooting. I don't think I'll need to change anything with the ABS so I likely wont need the Wabco specific software.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks