• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

another electrical problem

cade

i have searched for several days and still have a question. i was replacing the passenger side alt. on my 1008 and grounded it out. now the truck has no power at all. it will do nothing. i am putting a volt meter on it tomorrow to try an find the problem. maybe a fusable link??? surely someone has done this before. i know i must have blown a fuse somewhere/ any help or guidance is appreciated. i am looking over the tm now.

thanks,

maybefixit

Did you get a spark or smoke from somewhere when you grounded it? My experience with fusible link failure was a while back, as I recall I found it by wiggling wires, and one had a limp spot in it where the wire burned away in the sheath. That was on a Dodge Reliant where the battery was installed backwards (not by me).

You could do the voltmeter, or find a 24v buzzer like for the seat belt warning. That way, you can tie one end to the battery post (+ or - as appropriate) and not have to look around as you're touching terminals of the other polarity to check for voltage. Of course, tape things up so you don't create another short! Even a #18 wire gets painfully hot with 24v x 750 CCA.

I'd recommend a quick check of not only the positive side but also the ground side, there might be fewer connections on the ground side but if one got fried it would make a messy troubleshooting run.

Make sure to replace fusible links with fusible links or an inline fuse of the right size. Don't be tempted to replace with a standard wire - could create a fire hazard.

Good luck and I hope you find the fault quickly.

cade

yeah it sparked from the main panel on the passenger side firewall and on the driver side. it burnt the 2 blue wires in half. thanks for the reply

swyne

Only thing I can add is my starter stuck one time and it ended up burning the 12V supply coming from the battery. You know the red wire leaving the battery that turns into a blue wire and then connects to the 2 post block on the firewall. I had nothing when that went. No Ignition, lights, dash lights, nothing. So I found that red/blue wire with a fuseable link (that was melted) and spliced in a nice 40amp set up. So far so good!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks