• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another engine noise post

Hasdrubal

When my tranny went out, first I noticed a strange down-shifting issue when just cruising along. A week later, going up a hill, truck started shaking wildly. Then it would only go very slowly. Luckily I was very near my home, managed to crawl back like that.

Had it towed to tranny shop. They told me the torque converter had come apart. While they can flush and clean out the tranny during a full rebuild, the cooler in the radiator is toast. They told me it couldn't be used. Had to install an auxiliary cooler and replaced the radiator mounted cooler when I rebuilt the radiator several years later.

carter262

FIXED!!!!!!

Ok pulled transmission yesterday. Once we had it out of the way I found that the flex plate was cracked all the way around at the center bolts. Everything else appeared to be in good condition. Bought a new flex plate (O'reilly's PN FRA-142 $45.00). Some new blots, red loctite, and tranny fluid. Put everything back together and sound better than it ever has.

I just could not see the crack where it was by removing the inspection plate. So, thanks for the help.

carter262

Good Job. Did you remove the transmission completely?
Yes unfortunately. I could not see the crack until we had it pulled and out of the way. My advice, ie what I learned, is to slide the transmission back and take a second look be fore you drop it if you are having a problem similar to this.

cucvrus

Well at least you got it fixed. i had one fly apart at highway speed and launch a piece through the transmission bell housing. It is still that way. I replaced the flywheel/flexplate not the transmission. That has been 6-7 years still going.