• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another engine noise video

fpchief

Been around HMMWV's since early 90's and dont remember a high pitched whine coming from the motor. Not like this. The sound it in the video if you can weed through the normal rattling shitbox sounds. I have a squeak up front from what I think is the idler and I thought this was from that but this 100% sounds central to the motor. Any ideas would be great. On the same note, those takeouts from eastern surplus....rolling the dice?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds a little like coming from the alternator. Take off the belt and see what you hear.

Action

Been around HMMWV's since early 90's and dont remember a high pitched whine coming from the motor. Not like this. The sound it in the video if you can weed through the normal rattling shitbox sounds. I have a squeak up front from what I think is the idler and I thought this was from that but this 100% sounds central to the motor. Any ideas would be great. On the same note, those takeouts from eastern surplus....rolling the dice?

Hold a 3' piece of hose to your ear and move the other end around engine to find source. This is a lot easier with the cooling fan under the radiator. I had a squeak that ended up being a crookedly mounted alternator bracket. Re installed that bracket and whine went away.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was attempting to install a new serpentine belt, which was too long, and discovered my AC delete idler has a bad bearing. Mine had a squeek similar to yours. A new one is on the way.

fpchief

Thank y'all for the replies. I know the squeak near the tensioner goes away with no belt. Will get it hot and take belt off tomorrow and see about this sound. Pretty sure not alternator just does not sound over that way but will definitely find out tomorrow, will use the hose like Action said!

The other pulleys are all new with exception of belt tensioner which I need to stop being a cheap ass and buy. Will update tomorrow on the sound.....and start posting pics of my spare tire carrier build (Andy)....

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank y'all for the replies. I know the squeak near the tensioner goes away with no belt. Will get it hot and take belt off tomorrow and see about this sound. Pretty sure not alternator just does not sound over that way but will definitely find out tomorrow, will use the hose like Action said!

The other pulleys are all new with exception of belt tensioner which I need to stop being a cheap ass and buy. Will update tomorrow on the sound.....and start posting pics of my spare tire carrier build (Andy)....
Just be DAMN aware of what you are doing with the hose. don't want the fan or a belt taking it away from you and beating the crap out of you!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks