• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Fuel Tank Thread

bonedoc

I think the issue here is basically cleaning the tank. I've had great experience with it and would highly recommend looking up Marine Clean. It worked great in my tank. If you look at how dirty tanks can get in vehicles 10-15 years old it is no wonder our tanks are so dirty. Not to mention the higher organic composition of diesel fuel. There are bacteria and algae that feed on raw crude oil so to have it in our tanks that are 40+ years old is no wonder.
Since you have your tank out, take a look at Marine Clean. It is environmentally friendly and easy to use. Got my tank spotless even with the baffles. I was amazed.

FloridaAKM

I drain the primary filter @ least once a week just to check that the pump is flowing correctly. Also the two large filters up on the firewall are checked for fuel flow & quality. The flow thru all check points is adaquate. I guess that I need to pull the primary filter & see if it is plugged with fine free floating junk as the truck starts a 20 mile journey fine, but after 5 or so miles, she starts missing in 5th gear @ 2K rpm + !
Have you tried draining your primary filter once in a while? Might help.

welldigger

I drain the primary filter @ least once a week just to check that the pump is flowing correctly. Also the two large filters up on the firewall are checked for fuel flow & quality. The flow thru all check points is adaquate. I guess that I need to pull the primary filter & see if it is plugged with fine free floating junk as the truck starts a 20 mile journey fine, but after 5 or so miles, she starts missing in 5th gear @ 2K rpm + !
I agree that one or more of your filters is beginning to clog.

FloridaAKM

I have a spare primary filter in the glove box & NAPA is open till noon, so it is the dreaded filter change play again! Only 200 miles on the new filters, too! The primary will be changed first & then a test run, before changing the other two! Thanks!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Has anyone tried tapping off the bottom tank drain to a pump and filters and flow back to the tank?
I am looking at the bottom drain wondering if I can get that fitting off!

welldigger

Has anyone tried tapping off the bottom tank drain to a pump and filters and flow back to the tank?
I am looking at the bottom drain wondering if I can get that fitting off!
You could probably do such a thing. I believe the plug on the bottom is standard npt threads. The only tricky part might be installing a bung or bulkhead at the top of the tank.

rustystud

Hmm. Guess since the outside of mine is coated I assumed the inside was as well. Guess that's what I get for assuming lol.
I got one of my first really Royal ! chew out's at work back when I was a apprentice at IHC . The Scouts had came out with a diesel engine, and this truck had come back to the shop on warranty with a leaking fuel tank. Not knowing any different I got a standard (galvanized) tank from parts and was installing it. The old foreman ( I nicknamed the Devil ! ) came over and saw what I was doing. So began the royal chew out ! Never made that mistake again !

Jeepsinker

Ok, so forgive my ignorance on the subject, but what is wrong with running diesel in a galvanized tank? I've never heard anything about it. I also know where a diesel scout is sitting in a field not far from here. My uncle restored it ten years ago, won a show with it, parked it and let the rockers rust out again.

rustystud

Ok, so forgive my ignorance on the subject, but what is wrong with running diesel in a galvanized tank? I've never heard anything about it. I also know where a diesel scout is sitting in a field not far from here. My uncle restored it ten years ago, won a show with it, parked it and let the rockers rust out again.
The sulphur in the fuel reacts with the zinc in the galvanizing creating deposits in the injection pumps and the injectors. Also the fuel pumps. Also never store your diesel in galvanized fuel cans.
That's a shame about that Scout ! There where not many made.

Lccountryboy89

Hooray for us WRAFB trucks and nasty fuel systems! Mine was the same way... the screens on the fuel pump were completely covered with that tar-like substance... I looked into getting the tank cleaned or cleaning it myself but everyone said the baffles make it difficult and no guarantee of success... so I just went ahead and picked up a brand new fuel tank from SECO here in Augusta, GA. Great people to work with and reasonably priced. Truck has a brand new clean tank now!

Smokinyoda

Hooray for us WRAFB trucks and nasty fuel systems! Mine was the same way... the screens on the fuel pump were completely covered with that tar-like substance... I looked into getting the tank cleaned or cleaning it myself but everyone said the baffles make it difficult and no guarantee of success... so I just went ahead and picked up a brand new fuel tank from SECO here in Augusta, GA. Great people to work with and reasonably priced. Truck has a brand new clean tank now!
Just curious, what did that cost you?

FloridaAKM

My tank screen was so nasty, that fuel would not go thru it. My first attempt to fuel was almost a spill @ the pump. I had to remove it, to get any fuel into the truck to bring her home. To remove that gunk, I soaked it in a bucket of acetone for a couple of hours & washed the screen clean with a garden hose. After a good Florida sundrying session, it was clean again! What a mess, it is surprising that the airmen didn't throw the screen element away while still in service!

Lccountryboy89

FloridaAKM I know exactly what you're talking about. Mine was so gunked up I had to take it out to get fuel in the tank. the wire mesh on my fuel pump looked the same way idk how the truck was even running. After looking around and talking to some people I decided to just get a new tank and have a fresh start. I figured by the time I bought all the needed cleaners, my time it would take, and the multiple filter changes afterwards I just ponied up and got a brand new clean tank. It set me back $350 but I figured with all the varaibles of cleaning out my old one it would be near that too.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Has anyone taken a Deuce fuel tank apart?
I would like to see pictures or diagram of the baffle arrangement inside the tank.
Anybody have such pictures or drawing?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... Yes, more than one.

(You have to, in order to build a two-tank system, same size as the original tank.)

Below are a few pics showing different baffle styles used over the decades:

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
gringeltaube Thanks, I can see now the fuel tank is really well built with a 100% positive drain at the bottom bung arrangement. I think the nicest Deuce existing just might be in Montevideo.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks