• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another gear thread

jag7720

I'd like to change my gearing in my M1009.

I want to be able to cruise on the highway and be able to tow a decently loaded small trailer.

It is my understanding that I currently have the stock 3.08 gears.

So, given that (from what I can find) the redline of the 6.2 is 3600 rpm Would I be better off with 3.42 or 3.73

Thoughts?

91W350

Keep your eyes peeled for a 4x4 1/2 ton pickup, or Suburban. I saw a few get crushed in the last six months and thought about grabbing some axles for future trading power or to help a fellow member out with. You might get lucky and score a set for less than you can buy the ring and pinons for. I am sure I could have purchased them for less than 150 dollars a set. Glen

firecontrol86

ok, i'm a definite new guy when it comes to these trucks. i've mostly worked on front wheel drive VW's and just want to make sure i understand what you're talking about...you're talking about changing the gearing of the trans right? and to sidebar on that, would you also have to anything different with the front and rear diffs?

Shop Rat Fab

Firecontrol86, we are talking about the gear ratios in the front and rear diff. in the axles. As far as I know the only gearing you can change in the trans would be a first gear set for drag racing applications or adding some type of gear vendor over drive unit to the trans.

91W350

The GM overdrive transmission is a pretty good unit, but cost prohibitive to get set up for most of us. I was talking about just swapping a set of axles out of a Suburban or Civilian gas Blazer or 1/2 ton pickup. Most of the guys are talking about a ring and pinion swap, front and rear. Glen

91W350

They will be the same as what you have, a lot of them were 3.73 or higher geared with an overdrive. The reason I was suggesting those is that they should be a direct fit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks