• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another GP relay question

Hogg

Can anybody tell me how to know if the problem lies with relay itself or with the GP control card?? I think my problem is the relay because it doesnt make any noise or clicking sound when I trun the key on... Just curious if anybody might be able to tell me before I spend the money on the wrong part... And the cost for each?

ranchhopper

You are not getting any power to the solenoid you might check by testing for power at the two small pins they should both have power when the key is on. A lot of time the solenoid will energize you will hear it but not send power out check by testing the bottom large pin with the orange wires on it should have power when the wait to start light is lit. I had two fail in the last week both you could hear energize but no power out the bottom to the GPs.

Hogg

Ok thanks, I'll test it. This problem just came up a week or so ago after replacing the fuse for the running lights... The GP's and the relay have worked just fine until I replaced the fuse for the lights. Now this...

ranchhopper

If it is the solenoid thats bad check the difference in price between what they list as a GP relay and a solenoid used for snow plows as long as the plow solenoid has the two small pins instead of one small pin you can use that instead I did saving a bit of cash.

Barrman

I know this has been written before, but. Read the -20 troubleshooting section. It walks you through how to test and check the card and the solenoid in great detail.

Now, for your situation. Is the card still hanging from its mount on the column with the little cap on it or is it just the base, plug and card stuffed up behind the wires above the fuse block? I ask because mine was just stuffed up there and worked great until at no pattern, it wouldn't. I would just pull the case out, wiggle the card and it would work fine until it decided not to anymore. I then installed the proper cover/hanger mount and haven't had a bit of trouble since. Sometimes it is the little simple things not covered in the manual that give you fits.

Hogg

Well I replaced the solenoid for the GP's and still didnt fix the problem... Light comes on and goes off like it is supposed to, but they don't cycle... I guess its time to drop a few more $$ into it and get the control card... Anybody know the part # of hand??

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The controler card is not available at your local parts store.

You can find used ones on fleabay, some times new old stock ones at the Military supply houses, or Antennaclimber is making new ones. ~$130.

Use the test procedure in the TM 9-2320-289-20 manual to check the glowplug system before you sepnd any money. It only takes a voltmeter and about 15 minutes of time. It may save you alot of headache.

Also go back and clean all the fuses in the fusebox. When you replace the one for the lights, you may have bumped someting else.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks