• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Head Gasket

rustystud

I straight-edged the thoroughly cleaned deck and replaced both heads with OEM heads, used new style gasket. Result: it oozes here and there. Re-torqued heads. Result: It still oozes here and there. I could get really angry about this - but since it starts as soon as you think about touching the button and runs like a scalded rat, I decide to smile instead and enjoy the drive. What's a little bit of brake cleaner to wash off oil traces.
There are just some engines that are going to leak some oil no matter what you do. Detroit Diesels actually had a specific amount of oil leakage built into the engine ! Crazy right ?! Cummins also leaked in several places. When we inspected the busses they where always steam cleaned before the inspection since they always had so much oil on them you couldn't tell if it had a major leak or just the usual "seeping" oil leakage. Cat engines where the only ones that keep a pretty good control on oil leakage. That is until the C-9's came in. So if it's a couple of quarts between oil changes don't worry about it.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Obviously quality manufacturing practices have been sacrificed on the altar of greed and lack of pride.

I've heard of German engines so well made that gaskets were not necessary. Just saying.

rustystud

Obviously quality manufacturing practices have been sacrificed on the altar of greed and lack of pride.

I've heard of German engines so well made that gaskets were not necessary. Just saying.

Yes, but you pay for them ! Most Americans want a reasonably priced vehicle and that means the engine is going to be a middle of the road design and manufacture also. Quality always costs !!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks