• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another kroctec Ride

kroctec

Hi Guys,
I expect this will ride will catch a few eyes.
Built for the British military it is a '63 Smiths of Rodley all terrain crane with lift capacity of 10 tons static lifting direct off the rubber or 8 tons with travel. Power for everything is from a Rolls Royce straight 8 diesel of 995 cubic inches through Clarke International drive train to drive steer axles (rigid front and swing on the rear) with 24 inch diameter disk brakes. Tires are 24.00 x 29 and 24 ply. Road speed is 45 mph and performance off road is just crazy. It was designed to work in 6 feet 6 inches of water and will take a further 2 feet of wave/spray. I have owned this machine since 1981, it was the 2nd of 3 prototypes to be built (there were 36 production machines built and as far as I know none remain in service)

Crane is 28 feet long, 10 feet 6 inches wide and weighs 32 tons.

Attachments

kroctec

Crane looks much the same as it remains unmodified since I bought it. It was repainted and is pretty much greased up in all the right places, fires up on the button even after long time standing.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very interesting Dave! I could use that here in the yard but doubt if I could figure out how to start it.