• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another LDT with Windows.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thing found it's way into the back of my pickup yesterday. Although toast, it should yield me many good parts including another dang "D" turbo. When am I going to get a break and find a "C" turbo in the trash. Sorry about the pics, the humidity got the best of the lense this morning going from the 70° house to the nearly 90° heat outside. I didn't realize it until now.

Attachments

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
a little duct tape & some jb weld and it will be good as new. How do you "test" a turbo on a "ventilated" motor?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good thing the military does not have to pass emissions tests, that engine would never pass with a crankcase breather hole that size! (not to mention the oil slick that must of left) :lol:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once I got the injection pump off, I was able to reach in there and pull out the connecting rod. I need to go get a pic of that. This engine came from a truck owned by a landscaping company. They've kicked a rod out of no less than 6 engines as of late. This one is unique, every other ventilated block I've ever seen was the #6 rod, not this one! FYI, this truck was driven into place to remove this engine. Despite the catastophic failure, the thing still ran.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd love to burn mine Jason! One day. At least I'm on the downhill swing. I'm retired in 2 yrs

jasonjc

I just set them up for the county and some of the city.That how I pay for my toys.The big plus is it makes my shop tax dedutable!!!

rmgill

Umm, why would one operation blow six in a row? Are they wringing the nuts off of them?

What makes an engine like this blow a rod like that?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
3 of the 6 were job site sabotage best we can figure. They were found exploded with the power switch on and the hadn throttle fully extended. Other than that, they are high on work and low on maintenance.

thats a first for me also. all the ones i have seen had windows to #6. it would be interesting to know how long the other ones ran at full throttle with no load on them! the wrecker we just bought has the large turbo with the waste gate. prob doesnt make any diff on power but it just looks huge on that little motor.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, If your in need of a "c" turbo let me know. Mabye we can work a trade for one of those "D's"

gbooth

When I got my trcck The engine in it was vented on the # 3 cylinder Holes in both sides of block with the rod cap gone and the rod wedged into the side.

SixBuy

Kenny, What'll ya take for that Danged ol' D turbo? I just pulled the inlet air tube off mine and found metal shavings thrown up as high as the air filter connection and it has zero end play even though it turns freely. So I figure it's turbo time. At least we're getting a handle on the oil slobbering problem! You reckon that turbo is OK? Give me a PM. Thanks.

rmgill

Kenny, I just looked at your photos again. Why am I suddenly reminded of Star Trek scenes where Kirk is romancing the leading lady of the episode?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks