• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another LMTV roll over

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's an inherent risk with any vehicle and a roll over unless I'm mistaken that these are more prone to roll overs than others.
Do a google search for "LMTV rollover" and "FMTV rollover". There's been a LOT of incidents. Most involving negligent speeds - thus the Army wide troop carrying speed limit under ALL conditions. Also several incidents involving tire blow outs and highway speed resulting in rollover. Having personally left the road at 50 mph into a ditch in my 1079 and very luckily ended up on four wheels back on the blacktop I have no doubt they are easier to roll that most vehicles. At one point I was near 100% that I was putting my truck on it's side at the very least.

Be carful out there.

Third From Texas

Most involving negligent speeds
Pretty much, this.

With no roll protection or seatbelts, rollovers are often fatal for anyone in the back of a pickup truck. These cabs don't stand much chance against all the weight involved, either. *exception seemingly being the M1079

I kinda doubt that these trucks are inherently any more prone to rollover than any other piece of heavy off road equipment (which is what they are).
*unless they are running XML "May Pops" in which case I suspect your odds increase 1000 fold

Guyfang

Staff member
The incident occurred on the eastbound A6 ‘autobahn’ in the southeastern German state of Bavaria. Have not heard anything on the news yet, but was in Graf yesterday, and heard soldiers talking about it. I heard, and this is to be taken with at least 3-4 grains of salt, that the truck was going faster then allowed, and it was in a construction area. Speed limits in a construction area are very strictly reduced, and controlled. The soldiers were supposedly Air Defenders, (Duck Hunters). There was also another accident in the last several months, also on the A6, and also Duck Hunters. The German police stated that it was a "Traffice Related Breaking Problem."

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The incident occurred on the eastbound A6 ‘autobahn’ in the southeastern German state of Bavaria. Have not heard anything on the news yet, but was in Graf yesterday, and heard soldiers talking about it. I heard, and this is to be taken with at least 3-4 grains of salt, that the truck was going faster then allowed, and it was in a construction area. Speed limits in a construction area are very strictly reduced, and controlled. The soldiers were supposedly Air Defenders, (Duck Hunters). There was also another accident in the last several months, also on the A6, and also Duck Hunters. The German police stated that it was a "Traffice Related Breaking Problem."

So was this a separate incident? The initial post was about an incident in Alaska...... which sounds like a significantly different place than Bavaria. Having not been to either I am not in a position to assert their proximity through direct observation but last time I looked at a world map (admitted might have been grade school) these were not what I would consider "close". :p

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty much, this.

With no roll protection or seatbelts, rollovers are often fatal for anyone in the back of a pickup truck. These cabs don't stand much chance against all the weight involved, either. *exception seemingly being the M1079

I kinda doubt that these trucks are inherently any more prone to rollover than any other piece of heavy off road equipment (which is what they are).
*unless they are running XML "May Pops" in which case I suspect your odds increase 1000 fold
Hey all the blow out pictures on here in the last few weeks were all goodyears! Heres a question for the guys thats been around the lm/fm trucks since the start what years were which tires used on these trucks and what year did they quit one brand for another ? Isnt the goodyears newer tires for the most part than the michelins just curious how the xml got such a bad name / reputation ! It seems they both are not worth much after 5 or 6 years old !

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The older XML's (no longer even produced by Michelin) were regarded as having poor balancing and behavior - the lug pattern and lug distance makes them a rougher riding and you can see in the sidewalls how the internal belting doesn't hold the sidewalls uniform and smooth. They had a tendency to roll in and out of balance as the tires imbalances would stack up and disperse as they drove. Leading to a slow oscillation from smooth to rough and back again while keeping a constant speed. Troops also report they suck in mud and snow compared to the Goodyear MV/T pattern. Michelin discontinued the XML for reasons - Goodyear still makes the MV/T for reasons. All good ones. The Michelin XZL is much better and has a lug pattern much more like the Goodyear.

I don't know exactly when the switch was made on the production side but it was somewhere between about 2003 and 2008 depending and may not have been a hard production number or date. Tires are stocked at many locations and they are going to use old stock till depleted at each warehouse.

The Goodyear MV/T and the Michelin XZL are currently both in use on the FMTV.

The recommendation from the military is that any tires over 7 years old not be mounted.

For SURE any Michelin XML you run into is far too old to be considered safe except as a tomato planter.

Goodyears seem to be better only because they are newer. My 2008 MV/T blew out just as bad as an XML because it was 15 years old and was in Kuwait and El Paso it's whole life.

bluesteel01

Such as shame. I don't think these are anymore prone to flip then any other large equipment but keeping ontop of replacing and servicing worn out old expired parts and systems will go a long way in staying safe and reliable

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks