• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M-578 posting!

The PIG Smith

I've been reading the following posting about really nice M-578 in the UK

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/tanks-apcs-etc/15695-m578.html

The Maintenance Battery of the FA unit I served in had a M-578.
It was the largest vehicle in our unit and was tagged to recover whatever a 5 Ton wrecker could not.
This M-578 was issued our battalion's the only M2 .50 caliber machine gun and the only M3 'Grease Gun' .45 caliber submachine gun.

I got to ride in this vehicle a few times and it was super kewl!
I briefly considered reenlisting for a MOS that deal with vehicle recovery as I also got to ride in a M88 at Grafenwoehr.
(I do not remember what that MOS number was)

Anyways, I see that this 578 is in the UK and there was salvage with several in Holland (Netherlands?)

So, are M-578 illegal in the US for private citizens to own?
IMHO, just because they are tracked should not be enough to qualify them as an armored combat vehicle.

Would an owner need a permit drive one on public highway?
I'm guessing Yes because of the weight.

I think it would be super kewl to drive one this in a parade.
...but I am afraid my pockets are not deep enough, especially with the gallons of Diesel fuel per mile.

I would like to start a new discussion about these medium sized recovery vehicles.

Stalwart

I believe a friend of mine owns a nice one, but then again, he owns a museum. He also owns my old M42A1 Duster . . .

KyCUCVs

The last time I was at Camp Atterbury, IN, they had a dozen of these recovery vehicles sitting on the LAW/AT-4 Subcaliber Range as hard targets. It's so sad that they cannot be sold to the public and have to sit and rust on the range until they are eventually dragged to the Air Combat Range and shot to pieces by A-10's and Apache's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks