• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M1010 owner

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That feeling you get when you think you’re done and someone reminds you of something you didn’t do?!?!?! Yes that’s fresh synthetic gear oil... 🤦‍♂️ Parts are ordered... 🤷🏻‍♂️. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you want to drive it bad enough you vacuum a quart out of the front diff so it stops leaking... 🤣. Waiting on parts... Of note I got up to 55 without vibration so I think my 8 degree shims might be good. I felt the tires a little, they convinced me to put balancing bags in them but they were smooth at speed. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃 #m1010

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the opening cut for the sink it’s time for a faucet. Keeping it simple with a hand pump version. Sanded and applied three coats of Waterlox. The cutting board came with the sink so I'm refinishing it to match better... 🙄. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I started seeing a girl named Dana... axle seal replacement is under way. Both axle shafts got new u-joints. Despite being 36 years old they still turned freely and they argued about leaving their long time home. I also installed new slingers, spindle bearings, and new seals. Had I known I was going to do all this... I probably would done the 35 spline shafts. But I would have had to get another set of hubs at this point... so 🤷🏻‍♂️. I was bad about pics while I was in the center housing with the carrier out. I found a method using a wrench on a ring gear bolt on the upper side of the housing and a prybar on the bottom worked well for getting it out. Back in was a challenge, focused on keeping the races straight to start and tapped it in with a dead blow. It's all back together now and the synthetic gear oil is staying in place. Some 4H and 4L driving and all seems good! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Luck was on my side... 🤦‍♂️. Always check where those wires went that you shoved out of the way while doing your lift and painting! 24v+heat of exhaust pipe = exhaust leak! Still need the wires for the box as they will be utilized for a DC to DC charger. 24v arc welding results!!! Dynomax wouldn’t sell me the pipe with the hole in it... only in the kit! I tried a couple times to get the exhaust apart so I could weld up the hole I couldn't see but could feel. Even the four pound dead blow just ended up denting in the muffler. So the next best exhaust tool came out and I was able to remove it all after two cuts. This time I sprang for the lap joint clamps so if I ever need to take it apart I can! And if I ever get to my trans project I’ll have extra room to work. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So those down pipes from the manifolds fit correctly? It would be great to have a bolt on system versus having a shop custom make the exhaust.
Mike, the only issue I really had was the flange at the manifold. They required some grinding to seat properly on the doughnut do to the spacing of the studs in the manifold. This second kit took much less grinding than the first one so I can't say how much is needed. I reused some of the factory hangers in the middle (relocated), and two rubbers at the tailpipes which helped me adjusting them high enough with the shackle flip. I am happy with it and mine has very little movement so no rattles. I can take more pictures if you want them...

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks