• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M1010 owner

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did a trial fitting of the roof rack for the solar panels. Still waiting on some gutter mounts to get a final placement but I’m pretty happy with what I see so far. It sure would be nice if it was warmer and that white stuff wasn’t around! 🥶 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃 #m1010

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Late update: My Marson Thread setter has always done well but on bigger stuff it’s more a challenge. Finally upgrading or adding a more appropriate tool to the collection as I have many rivnuts to set in the future. Yes, you can do them manually, but it’s time to speed up the process. I got some more test fitting done while the sun was out and been ordering some more parts while it’s raining 🌧. But at least it’s not snowing! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃 #m1010

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sun was out on Sunday so I took a ride. 130 miles round trip out to central PA for some parts from @cucvrus . Picked up some wing windows to rebuild, a 208 shifter with a straight arm, a GM shifter boot, and a set of brand new LED taillight assemblies. Still snow along the sides of roads. New top speed best and a pic of the tach... 4.56’s and TH400. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃 #m1010

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some more parts coming in! DIY4X motor mounts and Energy Suspension transmission mount. I believe the parts list for that project is becoming complete! 👍 Come on warmer weather! I started with the drivers side and got it done on the first evening and started on the other side. I found out I accidentally did the easy side first... Got back to the passenger side mount... learned some lessons. That triangular spacer on the back of the oem clamshell is important...🤦‍♂️. Ask me how I know. It got dark, I’ll get the starter back in today... it was time for dinner and a bourbon. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃 #m1010

Attachments

joshuak

Congrats on the forward progress, your engine bay is looking really slick. I really like how the braided loom looks, split/wrap around or feed it through?

...DIY4X motor mounts and Energy Suspension transmission mount.... Got back to the passenger side mount... learned some lessons. That triangular spacer on the back of the oem clamshell is important...

I'm hoping I have a set of those on my porch when I get home from work. Using them to replace some 2wd motor mounts in a 2wd to 4wd conversion, so slightly different application.

Maybe silly question, but the motor mounts wouldn't have reached the frame side mounts with out the spacers?

Last edited:

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the forward progress, your engine bay is looking really slick. I really like how the braided loom looks, split/wrap around or feed it through?

I'm hoping I have a set of those on my porch when I get home from work. Using them to replace some 2wd motor mounts in a 2wd to 4wd conversion, so slightly different application.

Maybe silly question, but the motor mounts wouldn't have reached the frame side mounts with out the spacers?
The loom on the firewall was feed it through. I like the look of it but it isn't always practical. I did use one section that looks the same but is split under the truck but it's for 1 1/2" diameter. Most of the rest I've used is split loom.

As for the mounts, the holes for the bolt were 1/4" off without the spacers. Adding one spacer on the side side apart cut that in half and allowed me to get the little OEM 3/8" bolt back in so I could redo the other side with the spacer. Once both spacers were in the it was still a tight fit to install the new 9/16" bolts, had to thread it in, but it fit.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
During the warm sunny days this week I decided to check something else off the list! I scrubbed down the roof real well last week and grabbed a can of Henry 887 silicon. I was able to get two coats out of it. Roof is sealed, reflects heat, and sounds less tinny! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃 #m1010

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the starter in. Old mounts compared to a new stock one. Rubber is dry rotted and cracked but in tact. Not the worst I’ve seen but definitely sagging compared to a new one. Maybe a little more vibration at idle with the DIY4X ones but the truck seemed smoother and quieter at speed. I’ll have to put some more miles on it to see. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃 #m1010

Attachments

Last edited:

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The vent windows are in... with a little challenge. I set the glass in the new frame (twice) with the setting tape as per the directions and let it sit for a couple days before setting the tension for the window to open. It pulled apart once installed, wouldn’t close correctly due to now rubbing everywhere. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I ended up tearing apart the old one and using the glass from my old window. They are in, one doesn’t currently have a rivet where it pivots, and most likely will get a buttonhead and a nylock nut to secure it. Truth told, they probably both will as the other one isn’t that snug at the rivet. Still need to transfer the new handle.

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The purest will be unhappy but I prefer the functionality and lack of rattling. A 10-24 button head, a nylon washer, and a nylock nut. I had to drill out the frame on the window portion but everything is snug now! Installed the new handle to the old glass. Everything pulls tight on the seals! 😎 Continue chipping away a some projects! Decided the bent t-case shifter needed to go. And I’m trying Steel-It coating on the new tie rod. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃 #m1010

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little behind the times here... Been working through cleaning this beast up. Strangely therapeutic... :unsure: Fluid came out nice and clean and no metal inside. New ARP bolts for the tail shaft housing to get rid of the 10mm 12 point ones. Still need to get the coolers on! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃 #m1010 #cucv

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was a little busy last week with prepping for a USAC National quarter midget event. Three days, 311 cars, lots of laps, some accidents that everyone walked away from, but great memories for lots of kids. Did get some work done on wiring harnesses and finally have some working lights. But the one evening at the track the 36 year old radiator let me know she was tired and peed a little coolant on the gravel... one more thing on the list. 🤦‍♂️ 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃 #m1010 #cucv

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been working with the seats as well. They are pretty much the same height as the original ones but you don’t sink into them like a bean bag. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃 #m1010 #cucv

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just knocking off some projects... Wire brushed and painted the rad support under the radiator, remembered the 1/8” port where I could put the temp sensor for the coolant gauge, put a Tee in for the oil pressure sender, mounted the house battery which meant I could play some tunes, and the simplest 3 minute project of repurposing a bracket I removed to make a table pull. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃 #m1010 #cucv

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks