• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M543a2 joins the big tire crowd - 16.00's are on...

Power Divider...

Houston; we have a problem...

The only power divider we could find in the yard was used as a soil sampling device at some point... Had a rough landing and broke a fair bit of the CV shaft boot flange off the aluminum house...

Soooo, heli-arc to the rescue; a few bits of aluminum flat bar scrap, filler rod and some shaping and we are back in business...

Turned out well - now I just need a new boot since the one for this end has two tears in it. The CV's cleaned up well and are pretty easy to disassemble - also got the shaft painted and prepped.

Going to install the divider and the inter axle driveshaft tomorrow; need to find the u-joints for the PTO shaft off the t-case as they are a bit crunchy, install the shafts and linkages, and then we can fill'er up with hydraulic oil and see what happens!

Matt

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
U joints like in your first pic? I might have some. Should be back from Sc Thursday. PM me and remind me to look.

Hung the power divider and stuffed 4 out riggers in her last wed... Need to pull the winch driveline and still need to figure out something with the t-case to divider shaft - got all the joints lubed up and free - took all the needles out and cleaned but the cups are a bit haggard...

Anyhow just plugging along - found a few damaged outrigger pins to repair and then mount... also need to clean and assemble tail light brackets and lights - waffling on the old korean era m-series lights or the composites.... Any thoughts? The front lamps will be the early ones as I have the early guards and the truck is a 1967. I am leaning towards the early lamps and just run a second pair on a tow light bar up higher for better vis.

I also need to make new steps as I have one bent up one as a template - might make a second loop as the truck is now on 16.00's...

Anyone know sources for the throttle control cable that runs from the rear winch to the inj pump? Mine has been cut about 3" after the bracket at the winch...

That's about it for now....

I will have to measure it at home - IIRC they are about 3.5" across the caps... I will measure it and post the size tomorrow - no part numbers I know of; maybe cast on the body of the joint...

Thanks

dont worry i took your wrecker out for a spin...hahahaha jk! its looking good!
Yep - It got big! Parallel parking is a challenge now - haven't quite learned the feel of where the back of the bed and how much stick out the boom has... especially since I drove it all of 100ft so far to get the out riggers on the other side!

Gimpy - I measured the joints last night and was close: the bolt centerline spacing is 3.500" and the installed width across the outer edge of the caps is 4.375"

If you have anything of that size and style that'd be great - otherwise I will run these for now and change them down the line...

Thanks again

Matt

I made it down to the truck one last time before heading to Alaska for 2 months...

I managed to put the missing rear cab support on, mount the inter-axle driveline which was rebuilt, and mount the overhauled hoist drum rollers on the boom...

Grabbed some mudflaps but need to make the mounting strips for the underside of the bed and find some short front flaps for the area in front of the midships axle...

Otherwise things get to go comatose for a bit while a put a pair of ferry engines back together (after finishing taking them apart!)

Matt

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
My u-joint is 6" across(overall) and the holes to bolt it on are 2" apart(on the same head). Sounds like it is much larger than what you need.

Thanks - those sound like driveline joints for the axles - these are little guys for the winch and crane pump - look almost like 1310 or 1350 series civy size but with the heavy truck mounting and bolt in caps... Anyhow I appreciate the look-see

Matt

It lives...

Well a little macgyver rigging to mate the CV crane shaft and hold the power divider up close did the trick... Got everything hooked up, drivelines on and the boxes filled with oil...

Used the forklift to gravity fill the crane tank with hydraulic oil from a storage tank and did a final check on all the fittings...

Fired it up and put the PTO in gear - life is good - no leaks, no cavitation, everything moves and swivels... It lives!

I still have some stuff to get the rear winch working as the linkage bar underneath was damaged from the bed being set directly on the ground when they have removed it from the donor truck (before it came to me)...

All in all a good weekend! Enjoy rofl

Matt

Attachments