• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M923A2 Question

worsethenu

Hey guys,

I bought an A2 a while back and have had some issues where it wouldn't always (but sometimes it would) build full power (wouldn't build enough to shift out of third), but it always started right up. I changed the fuel filter thinking maybe it was dirty or clogged and primed the line per the manual and now it won't start at all. I also checked the forums and saw the fuel solenoid has been a problem so I zip tied it all the way up (please see the pic) and still nothing. It cranks hard, the batteries are new, and if i spray starter fluid in it it runs for about 2 seconds and dies.

20131228_133712.jpg

I've really been trying to do this on my own without bothering anybody, but i'm stumped. Does anybody have any ideas?

worsethenu

Hey, I just went and looked for anything on the IP that I may have hit, but don't see anything? Where would it be? Also, do you think I need to prime each individual lnjector line??

flashgordon

I wouldnt waste your time with the zip ties. I would Remove the fuel cutoff solenoid to remove all doubt. Then check the manual shut off cable then, maybe reset the lever on the pump like 5tonman suggests (sometimes sticks in closed position). I have used low air pressure (like 20 lbs) to pressurize the fuel tank. Instead of pumping up the fuel line which seems like it takes forever! I would not bleed individual injector lines...usually not necessary in my opinion.
Good Luck

-FLASH-

5tonman1971

But another thing you might want to check for it not going over 3rd is to verify that it is NOT stuck in 6 wheel drive. If you do mainly highway driving I would remove the front drive shaft

worsethenu

Flash, Correct me if i wrong in my understanding. I know what I know about diesels from the manuals i've read fixing this thus far. I replaced the O-rings (home depot less than $5) in my hand pump on the truck and that thing seems to work well (only took like 7-9 pumps to have fuel coming out up at the IP). What am I checking the manual shut-off cable for (meaning length (long or short?) here is a photo of the line currently)?20131228_150536.jpg

I can't seem to find the lever on the fuel pump? Admittedly i'm probably a being a little slow here.

Sorry for all the photos, my hope is that they will help other newbies like myself to see real world images. Thanks so much guys.

Attachments

worsethenu

5Ton, good call on the 6 wheel drive, but i know it's not that cause i had it spinning in the field and had to engage it to get it out:)

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks to me like the fuel lever isn't fully forward. It should be all the way at the end of the cable. Push it forward. Mine binds up once in a while. A little marvel mystery oil and tweaking of the cable. Yours looks like it might be binding on that line behind it in your last pic. Here's what it should look like, up against the stop on the end of the cable I believe. at least mine is fully open.IMG_20131228_144715_423.jpgIMG_20131228_144702_393.jpgDoesn't appear your zip tie is doing enough of the trick either.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could it be that you did not get all the air out of the system. I have not worked on a 8.3 but have primed the 250 useing the hand pump. When you first start pumping it feels strong and fuel comes out but if you keep on pumping it will start to spit out air then goes dead. after a million pumps it will fill the canister and in your case canister and spin on filter. I think you still have air in the system. The 250 will clear it's self just by cranking but it takes awhile and can run down the battries. I put another truck hooked up if its takeing to much out of the nonrunning battries. I just don't think 7 pumps would fill all the filters.

Last edited:

worsethenu

Hey sorry for the long delay. I should have posted something sooner, but i had a family member get sick and frankly this thing became less of a priority. It sat all winter. I tried removing the shut off and pushing the lever all the way to the stop on the cable. It still did not go all the way to the stop and again only ran for about 5 seconds on a shot of starter fluid.

All the air is definitely out as far as bleed screw goes. i had it streaming out of there.