• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another MEP-003a for my buddy but.....

Carl_in_NH

I'd need to see a drawing to be certain, but it doesn't sound like it's a difficult part to make. A home shop machinist would likely be happy to make the parts for you - provided you procure the material, and buy either tools, tooling, or beer to make his time worthwhile. Hard rubber is nasty to machine - it dulls tools quickly, but a urathane material wouldn't be all that troublesome.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carl,
Sundance posted a detailed engineering drawing earlier in this thread....check it out and see what you think.

Edit...it wasn't this thread like I thought, but luckily I saved i when I saw it...here it is

Attachments

Carl_in_NH

Wow - that is somewhat of an odd-duck. As already pointed out, not as easy as one might think to make. I'm not saying it can't be done - but it's not trivial, at least with manual machines. Some jigging and a 4-axis CNC mill - along with a couple hours programming - and you could make some. Likely a lot cheaper to go buy the 25 of them and be done with it.

Oh, well - it was worth a shot.

O.D. Fever

OH come on guys .. mounts are as simple as it gets.. Dont look at as you have to duplicate the oem just make it work, it kindergarden.. Stop and think, look at it, think what you have . and build it.. Just make it work...Joe

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
mounts may be as simple as it get when it comes to cars.

These 4 little mounts are holding up and keeping stable over 1100 pounds of motor and generator head. And it's not like a regular engine mount either, the hole through the casting is over 3 1/2 inches in diameter. Also, it's not a verticle compression mount where the engine sets down on top of it, and a little bolt just keeps it from moving...these are horizontal and the rubber completely supports the entire assembly. I don't know about the sets anybody else has, but I kind of like mine to stay put when it's running. If the mounts are too hard or not hard enough it will have that thing "walking" all over the yard, pulling out your electrical wiring and possibly damaging something on the set ( I don't know if you noticed, but engines in general especially diesels vibrate quite a bit when they run)....NO THANKS. when I find the right ones I'll buy them and leave the kindergarten stuff to the kindergartners.

Carl_in_NH

I've been thinking about these parts - and I suspect I could machine them, or at least something close enough - that would work as intended. It would require building some fixturing to do so on manual machines, which are all I've got.

That said, I really don't think it's economical in terms of time; if there were none on the surface of the planet, yes - but if there's some of the original parts out there to be purchased I suspect they would be the right way to go.

As for just hacking something together, I've been an engineer far too long to do that. If this were an emergency where I had to keep a generator running, I might just make-do, but that's not the case here. I've owned too many things in the past where I've had to make right such field repairs that were done by someone that didn't think about the next poor SOB that might want to keep the unit running. In those cases, about half the time of the repair is spent making new parts to replace the original missing ones, and the other half repairing the damage that was done to the base equipment by operating with a less than optimal field repair.

woodyNla

Just got word from him and it isn't good......

I had Dallas to out to Lord to get us a quote on these. Lord is now quoting a 99 pc min (not 25 min any more) at $48.50 each. The lead time is 2 to 3 weeks. This is the best I can come up with. 99 pcs at $48.50 is the best I am going to be able to quote.

Thank you,

TJ White
Aviall Services, Inc
P: 901-362-6710
F: 901-362-0024

stumps

Take a good mount, and make a mold using a pourable silicone casting compound. Then cast the new mounts using one of the two part urethane rubber compounds. The entire process is detailed in a book available from Lindsay: How to Cast Small Metal and Rubber Parts.

-Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks