• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another misadventure in the Deuce!!

airmech3839

G-force... you may be on to something... I did not have a visable leak at the primary before I changed it.. so I think the vacum pressure might be a cause.. it was worse after driving with constant 2400 RPM than driving in traffic and stopping at lights... although it still developed air... but I am gonna order another set of filters for bth primary and secondary and also look into changing the HH...

SpyDad

Parker2... I'm not having any problems with the deuce, I read in the operators manual about draining the access air out of the tanks and I was inquiring as to how often you guys normally do it and what happens if you don't. I figure the operators manual says to do it at the end of the day so that is what I am following. Thanks for the info.

stumps

About the only way for you to get air in your fuel system, while it is running, is for there to be a leak in one of the filter cans, or tubes leading up to the filters. Everything is pressurized, and will squirt fuel if there is a leak.

-Chuck

airmech3839

well the only thing that I could see leaking was the HH and I had cleaned the filter bowls off and the HH with engine degreaser and ran it for a good while and like I said only thing that was dripping fuel was the HH..... thats why I was leaning to a head issue!!

Now there are a couple of lines on the IP that appear dry rotted a little but when I cleaned the IP and ran it they did not seem to be leaking... so I would recomend double and triple checking the filter bowls and when running WMO have a spare filter or three with you at all times!!

Parker2

Parker2... I'm not having any problems with the deuce, I read in the operators manual about draining the access air out of the tanks and I was inquiring as to how often you guys normally do it and what happens if you don't. I figure the operators manual says to do it at the end of the day so that is what I am following. Thanks for the info.

I have been trucking for a lot of years and it may be me, but if I am running a truck all day long I drain the water from the tanks every few hours.

stumps

I have been trucking for a lot of years and it may be me, but if I am running a truck all day long I drain the water from the tanks every few hours.
Not surprising given Florida's high humidity. In Maryland during the summer, the wet tank picks up quite a charge of moisture, maybe as much as 1/4 cup per day. In the winter, not nearly as much.

There is no harm in letting the wet tank take on water as long as 1) you drain it daily, and 2) it doesn't get so full that there is no room for the air. The brakes and other systems come off of the dry tank.

-Chuck

stumps

well the only thing that I could see leaking was the HH and I had cleaned the filter bowls off and the HH with engine degreaser and ran it for a good while and like I said only thing that was dripping fuel was the HH..... thats why I was leaning to a head issue!!

Now there are a couple of lines on the IP that appear dry rotted a little but when I cleaned the IP and ran it they did not seem to be leaking... so I would recomend double and triple checking the filter bowls and when running WMO have a spare filter or three with you at all times!!
For air to get into the system while the truck is running, the leak must be on the suction side of the IP's fuel pump. Suction leaks usually don't drip fuel... they well, suck.

If your in tank fuel pump isn't making enough pressure to force the fuel through the filter restrictions, the IP's fuel pump will have to suck the fuel through the filters. If, in changing the filters, you allowed a leak to form at the top of any of the the filter cans, an easy thing to let happen, air will be sucked through the leak and will enter the fuel stream.

-Chuck