• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Muffler Thread - The one I chose and why.

talskinyguy

I had 2 goals when adding a muffler
1. As quiet as possible.
2. Not choking the engine so much that I burn something up.

The first step was figuring out the CFM of the exhaust.
I used this from donaldson's website to figure that out.
http://www.asia.donaldson.com/en/exhaust/support/datalibrary/1053747.pdf

I came up with an intake CFM of 540 using a VE of 1.5, but the stock air filter is only rated for 410 CFM from what I can find, so I'll just work with both numbers.

This gives me an exhaust CFM at 1000 degrees of 1108 if I assume 410CFM intake, and 1460 if I assume 540CFM intake.

At this point I decided to use the numbers that went with 410CFM intake since that is what the intake filter is rated for. This seems to assume a VE of 1.12 for the math to work out, which seems low for a turbo engine, but the intake is going to restrict flow at this point anyways.

The form from donaldson also said to not exceed 3 In HG of exhaust pressure, so I am looking for a muffler that flows 1108 cfm at 3 In of HG.

I found this Donaldson muffler M090146 with the following specs.
Inlet Diameter:3.50 Inches (88.90 MM)
Outlet Diameter:3.50 Inches (88.90 MM)
Body Diameter:9.00 Inches (228.60 MM)
Body Length:44.50 Inches (1130.30 MM)
Overall Length:51.00 Inches (1295.40 MM)
Rated Flow LR:578.00 CFM (16.3574 CMM)
Rated Flow MR:817.00 CFM (23.1211 CMM)
Rated Flow HR:1010.0 CFM (28.583 CMM)
Back Press LR:1.00 In Hg (25.40 MM Hg)
Back Press MR:2.00 In Hg (50.80 MM Hg)
Back Press HR:3.00 In Hg (76.20 MM Hg)
Attenuation:19-25 dBA

And this is where my compromise came in.This muffler has the most sound reduction rating by nearly 10dBA that I could find. And how often am I sitting at 2600 RPM and running full throttle? In my experience never. 2400 RPM gets me back down to a flow rate that causes less than 3 In HG and I am rarely ever full throttle in that scenario either.

This math is based on my own assumptions of how I drive and my fuel pump not turned up at all. I will be getting an EGT gauge in the future to make sure that I don't burn anything up, because this amount of back pressure will definitely make my EGT's raise faster, but I don't think they will get to any dangerous amount with the way I drive the truck.

Then again maybe all this math is garbage on this engine because the head doesn't flow worth a **** or something. Because it is generally agreed upon that its 1.5 cfm intake to each hp and 2.2-2.3 cfm exhaust per hp. If that is true then I'm below even the 1 In HG number for this muffler at max hp of the engine.

Last edited:

talskinyguy

View attachment 472241

This muffler is massive. More to come when I install it.

Also other mufflers cross reference with this one, but from what I have found they are the same in physical dimensions only. They are all straight through and therefore would not have the same sound reduction.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just search "M090146".

talskinyguy

Just search "M090146".
That is the muffler I have, and the part number listed in my post.

If you quieten your exhaust, you will recognize all the other noises :D ... insulate your cab and hood. that will help a lot.
I would have to put a top on the truck for it to make a big difference. But I will be looking at ways to quiet it down more once it warms up and I start driving it more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks