• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

another MV threatened by code enforcement

Dodge man

Sir you are an fine example of an ignorant hillbilly! You speak of us Yankees as though we are the scum of the earth, yet have you ever met a "yankee" and gotten to know one, to even form an educated opinion? I guess I can use the word "educated" in your case very loosely. You are clearly speaking from your arse and it shows. Not all of us Yankees are arrogant jerk-offs "with bad driving habits", just as not all southerners are toothless, cousin banging imbiciles, with a penchant for Skoal, homemade hooch, and NASCAR!

Cheers Jim Bob!
You'll have to forgive him, Nick. The fine folks of Georgia still remember General Sherman's "visit" to the area and the atrocities that he and his men committed. Stories of the rapes, murders, lootings, lynchings, pillage, theft, home, business and bridge burnings along with the abuses of "reconstruction" are still common so it's no surprise that many southerners aren't fond of Yankee "visitors"! Part of my family still lives in that area and even to this day you can still find burnt out farms and homes all the way from Atlanta to Savanna and those are a constant reminder of former "visits". As for me I have many "Yankee" friends and I often think I have more in common with them than some of the southern hicks, even the ones within my own family!

FWIW I still have all my own teeth, have never banged my cousin, hate Skoal, I don't drink "Hooch"* and I'm not a fan of Nascar so your stereo type doesn't fit either.

*BTW we don't use the word "Hooch", we call it "moonshine". Hooch is a Tlingit word. Tlingits are a tribe Amer Indians native to Alaska. People that we generally refer to an "Eskimos" even if they're not.

from Tlingit
This word originated in United States (Alaska)
An unquenchable thirst for alcoholic beverages in Alaska gave the word hooch to the English language. It began after the U.S. purchase of Alaska in 1867, when Congress prohibited the sale of alcoholic beverages in the territory. Unable to buy alcohol, the Tlingit Indians living in a village by the name of Xutsnuuwú (Hoochinoo in English) on Admiralty Island, Alaska, began making their own. It is mentioned in an 1869 report on seal and salmon fisheries: "The natives manufacture by distillation from molasses a vile, poisonous life and soul destroying decoction called 'hoochinoo.'"
During the Alaska Gold Rush of the 1890s, hoochinoo was shortened to hooch and made popular by the appetites and tales of the fortune seekers. An 1897 book, Pioneers of the Klondyke, says, "The manufacture of 'hooch,' which is undertaken by the saloon-keepers themselves, is weirdly horrible." Another writer describes the "hoochinoo" of the time as "made out of molasses or beans or rice or flour or anything that'll ferment. I call it squirrel whisky, because two drinks of it makes you want to climb a tree."
Ever since, hooch has been an uncomplimentary name for illegal or at least ill-tasting alcoholic beverages. It is used primarily in the northern and western parts of the United States, presumably by neighbors and descendants of those who returned from the Klondike. Since the 1970s, hooch has also been modernized to designate another illegal substance, marijuana.
Tlingit, a member of the Na-Dene language family, is still spoken. But there are only about a thousand Tlingit speakers left, mostly in the southern panhandle of Alaska, including Sitka and Juneau, the state capital. Hooch is the only word of Tlingit origin that has found its way into the general English vocabulary. One other Tlingit word has made it into the English vocabulary just of Alaska: nagoonberry, a delicious deep red berry related to the blackberry, noted in English as early as 1914.

Dodge man

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128078864

This made me sick to read.

i would never buy a house with an HOA. I had one friend that did, he was one of the first to buy in that development -- he and a few of the other guys in the assosiation before it got to big met, and voted to throw out the entire rulebook the developer had set up. Completely rerwrote it. The developer was pissed, but couldn't do a thing about it.
He was very lucky to be able to do that. In every HOA that I've looked at, the developer keeps control until he sells out. They usually do it buy having 99 votes to your one. In some cases they literally have 1000 votes to the owner's one vote! My daughter lives in a neighbor where the developer declared bankruptcy and have the development (and all the amenities!) were never finished but he STILL keeps control of the HOA, it's rules and enforcement!

FWIW a buddy of mine is a ham and his HOA was on his back so he and his wife and another ham all ran for HOA board and were elected, the first thing they did was to abolish the rules concerning antenna heights!

Dodge man

Myself and some others from the Jeep club I'm in have considered starting a "vehicle friendly HOA" with special rules - parts vehicles must be kept in the back or side yard only, all loud machine tools must be stopped by 2AM or spectators are allowed into your beer fridge till the noise stops, well-built vehicles are to be parked in the driveway (so we can be jealous) unless being driven, etc etc. Haven't found a way to get it off the ground yet though.
You don't need to start your own HOA. Just get several members to all move into the same HOA and then take over the board and legally change the rules! Like most organizations HOAs have troulbe getting people to hold office so if you'll willing to run for and hold an office there's an excellent chance that you'll be elected! But do your homework first and be sure of (1) what's needed in order to change the rules and (2) that there aren't zoning rquirements that will prohibit what you want to do and (3) see how that particular HOA operates and how easy it would be to get elected. Occasionally you'll run into one that has a few people of the board that LIKE that sense of power and will want to stay in power and you may have trouble getting elected. Good Luck!

nhdiesel

I hate reading about things like this. What happened to property owner's rights? Where you could do just about anything you wanted to on your own property, as long as you didn't put someone else in danger?

In my area it's not the HOA you have to worry about, but the Zoning Board and selectmen. They are almost as bad as a HOA except a little more lenient. As soon as a neighbor complains to them, they mail out a letter ordering compliance. Depending on the town and neighborhood, they may only regulate which properties a business can be located on, or they can be as bad as to tell you what color you are allowed to paint your home, require any vehicles to be kept in a garage, etc.

My town isn't bad, as I live rural and in a fairly poor town. But even so, the neighborhood busybodies sometimes stir things up. I've had lots of great comments about owning a Deuce, and a couple negative ones. Unfortunately on my property I have several unregistered vehicles. Keep in mind I live on a dead end dirt road. These vehicles are kept for a reason, they are not abandoned out back to rot. I keep the vehicles for parts for the ones my wife and I drive. If one of us changes vehicles, then I'll get rid of the part's vehicle(s) for that one. I do my best to keep them parked neatly. Unfortunately my town has an ordinance allowing only 1 unregistered vehicle in my yard. I'm on borrowed time, but fortunately I have made friends with all of my neighbors and so far I haven't had a problem.

But what happened to the days when I wouldn't have had to worry about what vehicles I had in my yard? Its MY yard. I bought the house, I paid the taxes, I chose to live here. I'm enjoying my hobbies. I leave other people alone, and I only ask for the same in return.

Much of this legislation needs to be removed from the books. Anything that infringes on property owner's rights should be removed. If someone wants to control how others live, then they should buy a large piece of property, build homes, and lease them out. Then the property owner can run it the way they want. But leave private property alone.

HOA and many zoning ordinances are like the days of slavery. You were not allowed any property rights. You had to ask the Master before doing anything, and the Master told you how to live. We put an end to that kind of thing once, its time to again.

Jim

mortalis09

I'm not so sure thats what the castle law is for, I'm pretty sure it means you can defend your life or the life of someone else, and are not required to flee your home/property before doing so. I don't think the DA would consider shooting someone for vandalizing a vehicle, or property an appropriate use of deadly force.
it depends on the state - some states you can defend your property as well as your life - others only human life may be defended with lethal force - best bet is to check what the local laws are on this subject

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the Great State of Texas, under the Castle Law, you can rightfully defend yourself AND your property with armed force. This includes within your vehicle if threatend by a carjacker, rioting crowd, etc.
Each states's laws differ.
One size does NOT fit all!

mortalis09

Gotta say I'm a little confused here. HOA's, code enforcement, police enforcement....where in the world are you folks living...Russia? In the service if you lived on base, you followed the rules. Don't like the rules, leave the base and live in town. Been there done that, hated it. Now live in the country. Neighbors do what they want, I do what I want. Can't imagine voluntarily living in a place where people get in your face every day. Sorry if this sounds a bit combative, but someone comes on my property to mess with my stuff, they're getting a facefull of attitude. Reason: I chose to live where I make the rules, guns (as well as swords, dogs, knives and killer ground squirrels) are permissable to protect ones self, family and property. No codes (other than common courtesy), no HOAs, none of that stuff. I know folks can't always pick where they live, but dang...you're describing military enforcement carried out by base housing authority that is just this side of torquemada:twisted:!

Wyoming is in the middle of no where...the air is thin and moves at extreme velocity..and is as close to heavan as you can get. People are friendly if you are and will stop and give a hand if you need it. MV's are not required, but sure make getting around in the winter a bunch easier....
i have seriously been considering getting some land there just gotta talk the wife into trimming the expenses so that i can afford it lol - saw a really nice 140 acre chunk that we'd be able to afford if she could cut back on the starbucks lol

Brentzilla

Has anyone had issues with an apartment? I'm renting this last year while I finish my undergrad and I just bought a bobbed deuce I'm planning on parking here. I'm thinking since its bobbed and is now a very large pick-up they cant really do anything except complain if they don't like it. A few residents have commercial small vans( ex. red bull delivery), so they can't use the commercial vehicle angle, Ill stay in one space and Ill park by the pool which the next building over just to be nice. Everyone has a covered space which I'm using for my Corvette and the rest is first come and no visitors need passes.

Thoughts?

nhdiesel

Depends on your state, but an apartment can be worse than a HOA. At least with a HOA they need votes on a board to make rules; with an apartment, all it takes is the owner or manager to set up any rules they want.

Jim

southdave

Sir you are an fine example of an ignorant hillbilly! You speak of us Yankees as though we are the scum of the earth, yet have you ever met a "yankee" and gotten to know one, to even form an educated opinion? I guess I can use the word "educated" in your case very loosely. You are clearly speaking from your arse and it shows. Not all of us Yankees are arrogant jerk-offs "with bad driving habits", just as not all southerners are toothless, cousin banging imbiciles, with a penchant for Skoal, homemade hooch, and NASCAR!

Cheers Jim Bob!
I resemable that remark, have seen my cousins..lol btw all the real billies moved north in the 1930-40s-50s just check cleveland,detriot, youngstown & pittsburg. todays carpetbaggers and HOA board memebers are thier grandchildren following jobs they lost up north

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone had issues with an apartment? I'm renting this last year while I finish my undergrad and I just bought a bobbed deuce I'm planning on parking here. I'm thinking since its bobbed and is now a very large pick-up they cant really do anything except complain if they don't like it. A few residents have commercial small vans( ex. red bull delivery), so they can't use the commercial vehicle angle, Ill stay in one space and Ill park by the pool which the next building over just to be nice. Everyone has a covered space which I'm using for my Corvette and the rest is first come and no visitors need passes.

Thoughts?
Have you read your LEASE / Do you HAVE a LEASE ? ? ?

Step ONE: (Be SURE to bring a dozen DONUTS for this meeting.....)
Communicate with the Manager/Owner. Be nice and smile confidently. Don't cower, nor "beg" for permission. Simply be courteous and INFORM them of your intent.

Step TWO:
Offer them a RIDE (if they are interested) and play up the enthusiasm.

Step THREE:
Only break out your weapons (the arguments you presented above) if you need to "Rattle Your Sabres".

Have you ever read the book: "HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE" ?

Explain to them that having a truck on their property that appears to be MILITARY will have a POSITIVE affect in deterring criminal activity on their property or against any of their residents.

Point out that your truck is Legally Registered as a PRIVATELY OWNED VEHICLE and is therefore no different than any other resident's POV regardless of size or configuration.

Offer to fly THEIR banner across the front bumper when running in parades/shows/etc.... AT NO CHARGE to them.... Businesses LOVE FREE ADVERTISING ! ! ! If they'd like to, I'd even offer to let THEIR employees ride in the bed in a parade!

REMEMBER... YOU are an AMBASSADOR for the MV Hobby! Do us justice!

Thanks for reading my rant.

nhdiesel

:ditto: It might also help to offer to help out once in a while, if it's a smaller/locally owned apartment building. Offer to move or haul things for them from time to time. If need be, offer to park the truck in an inconspicuous place (if there are any). Don't offer this stuff up in the beginning of the argument, hold off and use it if it looks like things aren't going your way.

Jim

Brentzilla

I just got off the phone now that they are open today and explained it was an old military troop transport truck that had been turned into a very large pick-up and would fit in one space. The girl checked with the manager and I have permission with no strings. Hopefully they dont change their mind when the see the huge size rofl

Csm Davis

Update!

aua:mad::soapbox:This is got me so mad it's nuts. The city of Gulfport has a :evil:BAD JUDGE! He is misusing his court to bully my friend. The judge had my friend picked up for parking his m109 at his house because the judges son lives down the street and doesn't like the truck and calls daddy to get the big "ugly" truck moved out of the hood. the judge in court gave my buddy 30 days in jail and a fine effective immediately and no appeal then Buddy's lawyer said she would file anyway and the judge knew it would look bad so he backed up and gave her till 3pm next day to file which is almost impossible because he didn't fax her the paper work till 11:30am in Jackson and it has to be filled in person no fax! buddy got filed with court but judge was on the phone ranting to arrest my buddy and clerk told him no that he had filed. This is NOT over!:rant:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
aua:mad::soapbox:This is got me so mad it's nuts. The city of Gulfport has a :evil:BAD JUDGE! He is misusing his court to bully my friend. The judge had my friend picked up for parking his m109 at his house because the judges son lives down the street and doesn't like the truck and calls daddy to get the big "ugly" truck moved out of the hood. the judge in court gave my buddy 30 days in jail and a fine effective immediately and no appeal then Buddy's lawyer said she would file anyway and the judge knew it would look bad so he backed up and gave her till 3pm next day to file which is almost impossible because he didn't fax her the paper work till 11:30am in Jackson and it has to be filled in person no fax! buddy got filed with court but judge was on the phone ranting to arrest my buddy and clerk told him no that he had filed. This is NOT over!:rant:

Hmmmm....

ARRESTED for a parking violation!?!?!?!

Seems to me there's MORE to this story than what you've shared/what you "KNOW"/ etc.

EXACTLY WHAT is he charged with??? Was he arrogant with the LEO? What CODE did he violate????

Inquiring minds WANT TO KNOW ! ! !

OL AG '89

Judge's Name and office phone number....

CSM,
If what you say is correct and your friend did nothing wrong, maintained a professional attitude, did not disrepect the LEO I think he will win in the end.

I am not sure how somebody winds up with 30 days in jail, "effective immediately", "without appeals"....... there are some minimum timelines that MUST be followed by the judge, no matter how bad he wants to, he can't just run amuck, making up rules as he goes....

If this is all true, I suggest a visit or phone call to the local t.v. station and maybe a story about the judge and his current atitude and actions from the bench....

You'd be surprised how elected officials HATE to be in the news, unless they are in control of the story....

If that doesn't work, maybe we need to have a rally in Hattiesburg in the next month or so...... wonder how there jail chow is these days???????

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks