• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another new guy.

gmcv2500

Hi all, from another new guy out of south eastern Virginia. About a year ago I picked up an '84 M1009. I had a set of axels rebuilt from an '87 GMC V2500. I am in the process of installing them in the CUCV with a 4 inch suspension lift. I also picked up a set of HMMWV tires and rims. I already found out that the rims hit the steering arms. More information is to come.

SPCWarning

Welcome from Mississippi! Sounds like you're going to have quite a CUCV there with the axles! Do the tires rub anywhere? You might want to try some spacers behind the wheels for clearance if it's just the wheels touching. There are plenty on here with better advise, so stay tuned.
ps- We'd like to see pics of your CUCV!

Jimmy

gmcv2500

I already cut some of the front fender to clear the tire. I have been shopping for spacers. I cant remember how back spacing workd, but the rims that were on my '87 V2500 are 2" more outboard than the military split rim. The civilian rim measures 5" from the inside edge of the rim to the rotor mating surface and the split rim is 7" to the same referance points. I think I can get away with 1.5" spacers in the front. My next concern was the fact that the rear end is not as wide as the front. I'm not sure if it would be advantagous to put wider spacers on the rear or to put 1.5" spacers all around.

gmcv2500

The front end looks pretty good with the older 36" hummer tire on civilian wagon wheels. Hopefully my spacers will come soon so I can mount the split rim and newer 37" tires. I will be drilling the frame to use a set of 4" lift 56" long rear springs. I also plan on getting some pictures in the morning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks