• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

another new M1009 owner with questions.

Old63B20

the only other problem is the right turn signal indicator light on the dash stays on when the headlights are on. gonna be tricky finding the cause of that.

Check both front and rear brake, turn signal and parking lights. You could very well have a burned out bulb, but more than likely, you could have in incorrect bulb installed in the front or the rear. I have seen 1156 bulbs, single filament, that are normally used in backup lights, installed in parking and turn signal bulb sockets meant for 1157 bulbs, double filament bulbs with two contacts on the bottom of the brass base of the bulb as opposed to one contact on the 1156 bulb.

Also, check your front side marker lights. GM liked to wire the side marker light to the turn signal socket, so when you turned your turn signal on, the corresponding turn signal light in the front, would have a wig wag blinking effect with the side maker light, such as TS bulb on, side market light off, side maker light on, TS bulb off, and so on.

Hope this helps.

Old 63B20......OUT!

Bobert

Is there a parking break light? Mine doesn't do anything but that wouldn't suprise me.

As for 33's I've got some on 15x10 wheels and they will rub a tiny bit on the rims since they stick out, plus my springs are sagged. only on turns when you hit a bump. I've had 35's on the same wheels and they were horrible, but if driven right you can make it across town and back.

I heard a 2'' lift is the minimum for 35s and that would look nice with 33s.

motormayhem

Hey you are going to have a hard time finding a 24v stereo. I got on ebay and ordered a 24v to 12v dc transformer 15 amp($40) to suppy power for all my 12v stuff. Pulls off both batteries so you don't over current one.
You can get 12V or 24V from the fuse block. Just check the voltage, but there are places to plug wires in with spade connectors on the block.

Also as for the CB setup I ended up installing mine right under the ashtray. I didn't have to drill any holes in the truck and I then ran the antenna coax under the floor mat and along the lip where the top bolts down with zip ties holding the wire and attaching through the pieces that hold the nuts for bolts that hold the top in place. Then I just used the bolt holes for the old antenna mounts until I can find a real antenna mount. You can wire it to either a switched or unswitched slot on the fuse block (see the diagram I posted). Here are some pics of my setup. As for the stereo I am still searching for a good place to put speakers.

Let me know if I have confused you.
:grd:

Attachments

ragedracer

This truck appears to have a body lift. Crawl underneath and look at where the body mounts to the frame. If they are stock, they would be relatively short. Aftermarket has longer bolts and hard rubber cylinders on the order of 3" or so. It is a way of keeping the suspension stock and is more inexpensive than a suspension lift. The tip off was how the rear bumper sits relative to the body compared to a stock truck. Enjoy!

My bumper looks just like that, and I know mine doesn't have a body lift. Also, his front bumper lines up right. I think it may be stock.

Gunworm

I talked to my brother and he confirmed the wrong bulb thing. Hopefully I'll get home soon so I can take it all apart and get some work done. I've been stuck out on the road for 2 weeks now:twisted::evil:

thanks again for all the help. now I just have to save more pennies for a 4 inch lift, 33 inch tires and new wheels, a turbo, and all the other fun stuff to add over the years. oh yeah...gotta have a winch too. :-D

bigwindy21

I also just bought one of these trucks...runs great but I cannot get any of the lights to work. The fuses seem good, and the service switches in right place. nothing. So I checked for power at the secice switch plug, none. any ideas?

stampy

Yes! Have you flipped the switches near your left knee? There are 2 I think it is the right one that needs to be up for lights, these vehicles were made to run dark so the 2 silver switches to the left bottom of your instrument panel offer different options. Just turn on the lights and move them around till your lights come on then leave them alone and shut off the lights normally.

spartan5909

Has anyone considered converting an m1009 to biodiesel/veggie oil? I'm new to the website but I've been seriously considering converting my m1009 for a while now and am looking for some feedback. pros/cons etc. Thanks :)

dmc-4359

Aside from replacing the fuel filter after the trash from the tank funnels through it, there really isn't anything needed in the way of converting to biodiesel.

Straight vegetable oil (or filtered wvo) may need heating if you want to do that or you might even consider looking into the guys that mix it with gasoline so that the wax cannot solidify in your injectors at reasonable temperatures ( dwn to ~40 degrees as I recall).

I have been mostly running mine (m1009) off of used motor oil for the past year and even did a write up about it last year. I've since learned some new tricks and pitfalls and probably need to update my site but it hasn't been anything close to a priority.

Pros and cons are the standard details you'll find for any alternative diesel fuel configuration. I can swap out all eight of my injectors and fire the truck back up in an hour or two on a pleasant saturday afternoon if that tells you anything about what you should be prepared to learn to avoid excessive inconvenience.

spartan5909

Well as of right now I have yet to even pick up my truck cuz it's a pretty long haul away but I'm basically just planning on lifting it and messing around under the hood a little bit. But I've been doing some research on other vehicles and I've talked to some recreational truckers and I'm wondering if the mileage on bio/veggie is that much different for regular diesel on an m1009 because it's an older truck and if the process would even be worth the conversion

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks