• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another New Member

USAMilRet

Hello to all. Been a lurker for awhile and decided to join today as I just bought a MEP-803A after the fiasco here in Florida (Hillsborough County - Tampa area) with the electric company and hurricane Irma. We were without the juice for 5 days and although not to much of a hard time, it was just plain miserable. I do have a Class C motor Home with an Onan 4KW gen that I was using to power the refrigerator and freezer along with a couple of fans and lights but in reality, it was just not enough to power what I needed powering.

I have been looking at aux generators for awhile and decided that a nice 10KW that will peak at around 14KW was what I needed to power my whole house in times like this so after looking at generators for several years, finally decided to bite the bullet and get one. Just so long as I do not run the AC, stove, oven, and dryer at the same time (who does) then I wll be fine at the 7KW to 8KW range which is 80% load on the MEP-803A

After looking around at various online sites for used mil generators, I decided that most of them are pretty much overprices places to stay away from. Today I was watching auctions on MEP-803A generators from Iron Planet in the Georgia area and saw some real old junkies sell for unbelievable prices. There was a 1999 with 5300+ hours not working or even starting that sold for over $5600. A couple of 2011 models that were working (per the site which is not real convincing) sold for over $7000 each. If you include the taxes, transportation, and fees, the final pricing came in at about $8500 to $9000 for the units unless you are a re-seller and have a tax exemption.

So instead, I decided to buy from a better known Hew Hampshire dealer that was offering free shipping to Florida and although does not offer any guarantee (who does?) but based on previous sales contacts, does a great job of making sure the end user is a happy camper, as my source for the MEP. No sales tax either. So I purchased a MEP-803A with 212 hours on it, 2009 Fermont unit with the Onan contracted generator and got it for $5500 delivered. Yeah, I probably could have gotten a non worker and fixed it up myself for a couple of thousand less if I waited for 6 or 8 months to let the dust settle down from the hurricanes (but not from what I saw at auction today) but decided that I should just do it and not wait any longer.

So here I am and will be posting in the Generator forum soon cause I have other things that I want to get going, like a load bank, aux fuel storage and hook-up, tying into the house electric system, remote start, etc. But first, my issue will be trying to silence the generator from the exhaust noise a little more as I live in a residential area and don't want to have race track city in my back yard to annoy the neighbors when the generator does run.

Thanks for being here and showing me some pictures of many of the vehicles and equipment I used during my 20 years in the USA. My favorite was the M151A2. Took that sucker places where even tracked vehicles could not go.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome sir! A generator auction got me started too. I started with an MEP-802a, but have since upgraded to the 803a. You will not find a more helpful and knowledgeable group of gentleman with whom to discuss military equipment.

You will probably find that the 803a is a pretty quiet unit. You can stand 5-6 feet away and hold a fairly normal conversation... not yelling at least. They faithfully hum their compression-ignition tune pretty quietly! Being 4 cyl, it is also much less vibration than other sets.

twisted60

Welcome from Jupiter, A gen is a good choice for Florida, I just have a little portable but it powers the important items, but I do have a couple of greenmobiles.

You'll find TM's and good advice on this site, don't be afraid to ask.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks