• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another newbie with MEP002A questions - gauges and oil pressure

GREENMV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guyfang Is right on the money, you do not have to change the main breaker, they are the same 100amp breaker. I have a new one to attest to this fact. R3 adjustment Is In the TM If needed.

GREENMV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Hectorosa, I was thinking about the conversation on changing a 10Kw AC box with 4 wraps to a 5Kw box needing 8 wraps. "Thinking usually gets me into trouble" I just pulled a CVT1 / CT1 out of a 10Kw box with 4 wraps and I know there was not enough wire to add the additional 4 wraps needed for a 5Kw box. Now In reverse subtracting 4 wraps to convert a 5Kw box to a 10Kw box Is doable. I would like to see a picture to see what you have inside your box. If you have extra wire Tie Strapped? It Is possible someone done a conversion already and you would be able to reverse back. The new 5Kw box I have, I am going to convert to a 10Kw. I do have some other 5Kw box's not tested.

Hectorsosa

I just went to grab a few things out of the barn and decided that pulling the cover couldn't wait. No phone in my pocket so no pic, but I definitely don't have enough wire to add 4 wraps to each line. By the looks of things it's only three leads rather than all 12, so it wouldn't be as much of a PITA as I was thinking to get a couple longer leads made and replace, but still time consuming. So GREENMV, what's your offer? Thinking all I really need is a couple proper lengths of wire, but spare parts is spare parts.....

jamawieb

@Hectorosa, I was thinking about the conversation on changing a 10Kw AC box with 4 wraps to a 5Kw box needing 8 wraps. "Thinking usually gets me into trouble" I just pulled a CVT1 / CT1 out of a 10Kw box with 4 wraps and I know there was not enough wire to add the additional 4 wraps needed for a 5Kw box. Now In reverse subtracting 4 wraps to convert a 5Kw box to a 10Kw box Is doable. I would like to see a picture to see what you have inside your box. If you have extra wire Tie Strapped? It Is possible someone done a conversion already and you would be able to reverse back. The new 5Kw box I have, I am going to convert to a 10Kw. I do have some other 5Kw box's not tested.
What a second. The 5kw has 4 wraps making 8 wires to count. The 10kw will have 2 wraps with 4wire count. Both boxes are exactly the same, you don't have to add wires to convert a 10kw to a 5kw. I'll take a picture of my 5kw tomorrow so everyone can see. I've converted several boxes over the years and never had to add additional wires. You have to think like the military, they want everything to be interchangeable between units so if SHTF they can change out parts without minimal changes. One of the wires that run through the transformer is part of the pigtail harness that goes to the generator head. So it would be difficult to add length to that wire.

Hectorsosa

So if 5kw has 4 wraps not 8, and 10kw has 2 wraps not 4..... Lets start at the beginning. I have a terminal box that is a known swap. Pic attached (yes I gave up and snapped a pic) shows what looks like one lead wrapped thru each of the three holes in the current transformer 4 times, for a total of 12 wraps. Is this what we've been talking about the whole time, or am I totally lost? If it's what we've bee ntalking about, does it look like a 5kw or 10kw? If it's a 5kw, why does my current meter read 50% with a 5100 watt load?

Apologies if I sound frustrated, I'm just trying to understand what I have versus what I need. I don't want to wire this thing to the house and start a fire....
20170321_222636.jpg

Hectorsosa

Still unclear as to what I need to do in order to make it a 5kw. If somebody (jamawieb?) could post a 5k pic that would be awesome! Thanks in advance...

jamawieb

That is a 10kw box. The problem is that your not dealing with 1 wire in each hole, it's 2 separate wires. I think that is where the confusion is coming from. In your picture, if you count the number of wires that are zip tied closest to you, you will count 4, that is what I mean by 4 wire count on a 10kw box.

jamawieb

You would cut the zip ties and follow the wires to where they are connected. Do 1 hole in the transformer at a time. Then take those wires and run them through the back of CVT1 hole, wrap around and go through the hole again, finally re-attaching them to the proper spot.

jamawieb

so I go thru each hole four more times for a total of 8 wraps per hole?
No. After you start working on it you'll see what I mean. Two individual wires run through each hole, you'll take each wire loose and run them through the hole 2 more times. It is not just 1 wire that runs through the holes.

Hectorsosa

OK - so I had about an hour before wife got home and I had to take off again, so I went out and cut all the wire ties and started pushing wires to the side to figure out what went where. Photo attached of one of the CT/CVT holes - it's ONE lead wrapped FOUR times thru the hole. The other two holes are the same way. None of the other leads are long enough to pass thru the transformers twice much less four times, so somebody's definitely done some tinkering inside this box. I'm gonna verify ALL leads on the schematic before I go any further. I suspect everything is hooked to the back panel and the reconnection switch in the right places because it all works as expected, but I'm gonna need three longer leads.

So.... I'm looking for one of two things if anybody has the info. Either length of the leads and what specifically is on each end for connectors, or looking for someone that might have extras to offer up a price with shipping to zip code 48768. With either of those optins secured I can have longer leads by next friday, and get them swapped next weekend. Anybody got what I need?
20170324_203154.jpg

Hectorsosa

In the first wrap it looks like the same number on at least five wraps, which implies it's 8 wraps of one lead. I've got three hours in the truck tomorrow. Methinks if I can convince my cohort to drive it's time to read the TM. BTW: thanks for the pic.

Guyfang

Staff member
Hector,

When you start this, don't stop. Pick a day, where you have time, and no interruptions. Its not as hard as it looks. But you have to pay attention. When you are done, you will wonder why it even looked complicated. One step at a time Partner, one step at a time!

jamawieb

Rirvin , I'm sorry to tell you that is a 10kw box. Your load meter should be reading 1/2 it's true value. BobbyT's box is a 5kw.
Hectorsosa it's not 1 lead that runs through each hole, it's 2 individual leads (wires). They start at the pigtail in the back which you can't see, then one will run to the strip on the back wall and the other is attached to the reconnection switch. Usually the wires are zip tied behind the CVT transformer to keep them neatly out of the way. It's easier to think about wraps as the number of times the wires run through the hole.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks