• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Oil Question

slantflat

Hey everyone.

It's time for me to change the oil in my Deuce, and I've done several searches for motor oil information and come up with over 4000 hits each time and still haven't gotten what I want.

What is the latest and greatest, accepted motor oil to use in a multi fuel these days? The easy answer is Rotella. I've heard that even Rotella doesn't have the zinc and other additives that a diesel engine needs these days.

I'm sure this has been brought up many times, if someone could just point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Mike

zout

Yup - Gimps choice would match mine and I am not that smart.
I have not done the Lucas to motor oil but I do run it in the fuel due to how crappy it is (ultra low sulpher).

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
4001 hits now.

How will one more thread full of random opinions really help you decide?

How will this thread be different?

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
Any SAE rated Diesel engine oil. You people do know there are 3 manufactures of oil right? It's all the same base. Only difference are the additive packages. Also even full synthetic oil is just filtered base. True full synthetic oil is over 1000 bucks a quart and used in jet engines. I have a can at home I "found".
If it has SAE rating dump it in.

jedawson1

Seems to me its more important that we change oil regularly than what brand we use. I've always used SAE approved cheap stuff and never had a problem in my equipment, dozers and dump trucks.

Rotella has traditionally been a good value for diesel engines.

slantflat

Thanks everyone. Doghead, when I searched for what to use most of the hits were gear oil, the rest were waste oil of some variety. Not what I was looking for. I thought perhaps someone would have some last minute info on oil these days. When I had my M1008 a few years ago I called the number on the back of the Rotella jug but the guy wouldn't tell me if it actually had the additives my engine needed. Proprietary information he said. I said I'm not buying your product if you can't guarantee it's what I need.

Now, if I could use jet engine oil.....

slantflat

Ya I can get ahold of jet oil also, but I've always heard there's something in it that is bad for seals and such in automotive-type engines. Perhaps a rumor started by the airlines so their oil stash isn't raided by all of maintenance.

two.fiveM35

Ok, I have a question related to this topic. We now know what kind of oil to use, so how often should we change it? If you put less than 500 miles a year, how often do you guys change it?

welldigger

Ok, I have a question related to this topic. We now know what kind of oil to use, so how often should we change it? If you put less than 500 miles a year, how often do you guys change it?
Every 2-3 years for me. Theoretically the additive packages in engine oil break down with age and not just usage.

zout

If you do not drive it - a law of nature is called condensation - the heat and cold while the engine just sits is less effected but effected by temperature change all the same. I do mine twice a year - spring and fall whether I drive it or not.
Like a feller said above - its a lot of oil for $ wise but its still cheaper than an engine and labor to replace. Keep oil change with GOOD FILTERS contant and you should have no issues. Ever see anyone over grease a u joint and by over greasing make it fail (unless he used piss poor grease that is).

welldigger

If you do not drive it - a law of nature is called condensation - the heat and cold while the engine just sits is less effected but effected by temperature change all the same. I do mine twice a year - spring and fall whether I drive it or not.
Like a feller said above - its a lot of oil for $ wise but its still cheaper than an engine and labor to replace. Keep oil change with GOOD FILTERS contant and you should have no issues. Ever see anyone over grease a u joint and by over greasing make it fail (unless he used piss poor grease that is).
You may not be able to over grease a u-joint but you can most definitely over grease an enclosed bearing. Off topic a bit I know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks