• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another reason to check your Deuce REALLY well....

54reo

I deadlined the deuce last fall after my brakes on the drivers side rear/rear hung up. Ordered all of the parts needed from OD Iron (with great service!), and started work.

Some interesting things...

The brake shoe hardware upper retaining bolt has two cup shaped washers, and a spring between the shoe and the backing plate. One of the wheels (also the one that hung up) had no outer washer between the shoe and spring. The result is the shoe being able to slip behind the upper cam adjuster and jam the shoe.

As the tan CARC paint that was on the axle shaft bolts was undisturbed, I figure this was done while it was still in the military.

I just wanted to share this with everyone, as it showed me that even the Government can do it incorrectly at times. Just because it looks like new or appears rebuilt, none of us really know the true history of these machines. The responsibility of proper maintenance is on us as the current owners of these vehicles. It is just part of owning one of these great trucks.

There is more to it than just driving one off base. We need to be careful.

Not trying to rant, I simply wanted to share my observations.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I once had a problem with the transmission in an M813A1 pressurizing. I determined that it was the valve on the side of the transmission that was bad. I put the truck back together the way I found it as I figured the military put it together right in the first place. I could not understand why, when I replaced the bad part, it still was pressurizing the transmssion (there was a plug in the valve). Fortunately, Jeff Symanski (TACTICAL TRUCK) knew immediately what was wrong and pointed it out to me.

Cooltex24

Hey 54Reo, I wanted to thank you for the pictures with descriptions. Some of us are more medical minded than mechanical minded, and those pics really help me out. Thanks agian, and I will go check mine now.
Scott

uh60

You would be surprised what I see on The Blackhawks. Some from contractators and some be military personal. You can never trust things have been done right! Inspect Inspect and Inspect!!! Then Inspect some more!!! The parts manuels have good break down pictures but always go by the maintenance manuels. Download the TMs and take the time to do it by the book!! If you dont find anything keep looking until you do.

54reo

gringeltaube said:
Regarding hold down bolts see our sticky: http://shortlinks.net/kjk034

G.
That is what I mean by the amount of information available on this site. Thanks gringeltube, and Kenny!

I posted some of the pics from the other thread. I did install the base washer on the small stud as per the TM.

Attachments