• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another starter issue

Old Rusty m1008

truck is brand new to me. It came from the government minus the starter and with gen2 unplugged and half broken. I got a 24 v starter and replaced the wiring to it. no key looked underneath and the starter relay was missing. I ordered an AC Delco one and installed that ( Gen 2 was not hooked up and the wires were taped off) the truck cranked once ( although glow plugs didn't lite , I started the truck and ran it for a few with a shot of diesel safe ether) after it ran like that we shut it off and the truck refused to crank again. I went and had the gen 2 rebuilt and repaired that wiring and installed that.
I unplugged the starter relay and notice when you plug it in the thing clicks as if power is going to it but the key is off and out of the truck so I took out the starter relay and left it out.. truck will not crank with it in and key in the start position. I am going to check the batteries to make sure there is no issue with the voltage but im thinking its the ignition switch on the bottom of the column..... any suggestions ( yes I searched im just kind of overwhelmed)

cpf240

If that relay is clicking when you connect it, but the key is off, then I'd leave it out until you trace the problem. I'd guess either an out of adjustment ignition switch, or a bad ignition switch. As for it not cranking at all, perhaps that was the problem the previous owner had with it... the starter relay under the dash went bad or stuck on, either due to the ignition switch problem or the dreaded stuck relay starter run-on problem. This could then lead to fuse and fusible link wires going bad.

So, yes, read the stickies, especially the ones about the fusible links. Get out the multimeter and start checking over all the wiring before trying to start it again.

Remember, it was taken apart for a reason...