• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another sucessful recovery (2 M35s) with lessons learned

tsmall07

I'm in the pep band at Virginia Tech and we were down in Atlanta for the ACC tournament so that proved to be the perfect time to recover the trucks. I got one and I picked up one for Don (HeadWizard). I picked up both trucks on Wednesday and stored them/worked on them until Saturday when the epic journey began. The original plan was to tow Don's truck with mine using a tow bar, but it became immediately obvious that wouldn't work out. I towed his truck 20 miles initially and the steering got crossed up 4 times. Both trucks ran without issue so I decided to have a friend drive the other truck back with me and then we could use the tow bar if we had an issue.

We left Atlanta at around 4pm on Saturday and got home at 8 this morning. :roll: The trip took a long time because we stopped to rest several times and stopped for dinner to see a friend in Chattanooga. We were just generally taking our time. We didn't want to put a big strain on the equipment or ourselves. Our caravan was the two deuces and my Civic wagon which some of you remember from the Virginia rally last year. :-D It was definitely a learning experience.

Lesson 1. Driving a deuce on the interstate at night in the pouring rain sucks BIG TIME. :lol: I've done a lot of reading on this site, but somehow I missed the part about the deuce cab being not waterproof. We stopped about 60 miles from our final destination and slept at a rest stop because the rain was so hard. I was getting soaked in my truck while my friend was just annoyed in Don's. It is hard to see out a windshield when there is water running down the outside and inside of it. Things got a little better after I started stuffing paper towels in all the little cracks.

Lesson 2. Tell your friend to downshift when he slows down on a hill at the beginning of the trip, not half way through after you assumed he would already know this. We spent a lot of time waiting for him to catch up thinking the truck was just slower.

Lesson 3. Definitely check out your truck (or at least have someone go look at it for you) before you pick it up. My life was made a lot easier because I had SETOYOTA go check out a few things and that really put my mind at ease. It also decreased the amount of things I had to bring with me for the recovery.

Lesson 4. Some of you have no idea how nice it is to not have to drive the truck home directly from the base. I now have an appreciation for this. Definitely bid locally to you or at least have a friend with some facilities that you can use close by to the truck.

Lesson 5. Whistler turbo > non whistler turbo. :twisted:

Lesson 6. You have to have a cigar in your mouth when you're driving a deuce. Don't ask why. You just do! :-D

All in all it was a lot of fun and I learned a lot. I'll definitely be more prepared next time. The only issue with either truck is that my brake lights and blinkers wouldn't work when I picked it up. The blinkers started working about half way through the trip so I'm not sure whats up there. I'm sure I'll find out soon as I'll be diving into it in the next few weeks. I was extremely fortunate with my truck because all the Michelin XLs are brand new (even the spare), it looks like the oil was just changed (still clean), and it had a full tank of fuel when I picked it up. :-D

Now on to the pics!
(Mine is the green one and Don's is the tan one)

PS. Special thanks to ClintO, Cranetruck, SETOYOTA and all the other members that have helped me out with previewing and advice on this project!

Pic 1: Picking up first truck in Kennesaw
Pic 2: Lining up for the tow at Dobbins AFB
Pic 3: Airing up
Pic 4: Girfriend got her turn behind the wheel
Pic 5: Me on right, Sam on left w/ stogies
Pics 6 and 7: Stopping for fuel.

Attachments

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a decent recovery, weather aside. Those XL's look great on there!

tsmall07

One more thing...

I can't believe there are people that want to go faster than 55 or 60 in a deuce. They clearly weren't designed for it and I wouldn't feel comfortable with more speed. Get a different truck if you want to go fast.

powerhouseduece

One more thing...

I can't believe there are people that want to go faster than 55 or 60 in a deuce. They clearly weren't designed for it and I wouldn't feel comfortable with more speed. Get a different truck if you want to go fast.
Thats why im glad my truck red-lines at 53. I like to just cruz at 48. I have had plenty of stupid people pull out on me and if I was going any fasted than I would have nailed them. :evil: Speed is not the problem, its stopping at that speed.

Safety First!!!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Great story! Glad you guys made it home in one piece with no major problems. Thanks for posting the pics. The XL's look awesome!

rockman

TS, I saw your trucks yesterday as I was driving down Main street after dropping off my daughter at her dorm. The trucks look good...

Bill

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice trucks. I wish I had a deuce when I was at VaTech 40 years ago. Those dirt mountain roads still call to me. Would have made a great party truck, too. Nice trucks!

Old Hokie in LA

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone is interested in 11 very nice Michelin XLs (1100x20s) mounted on 5 ton rims, please PM me. The tires are very, very nice...90% or better. One has some cracks in the side wall...the rest are very nice. I'd take $1,850 for the lot of them. They are at John Winslow's place in NC. I really wanted to put them on my M814, but I'll just leave the like-new NDCCs on there. If, by chance, someone wants the NDCCs off of my M814, they are for sale, too (in which case I would keep the XLs for my truck). Most still have the mold seam. The spare has never been on the road. The price for the NDCCs is $1,050. As a point of comparison, a brand new 1100 NDCC tire from Winslow is $110 plus tube, flap and mounting (and the rim).

Last edited:

Michael

The only issue with either truck is that my brake lights and blinkers wouldn't work when I picked it up. The blinkers started working about half way through the trip so I'm not sure whats up there. .
Sounds like a dirty ground to me. Check it at the flasher on the driver side finder first.

HeadWizard

I have to thank Tyler and his road crew for picking up my Deuce from Marietta. He's been super to deal with - what else would you expect from a fellow Hokie?

He had his GF's father (another VT grad) come by my shop here in Chantilly and pick up my tow bar for the trip. Seems as if this was an all Virgina Tech recovery?

Both trucks look great. I can't wait to get that Air Force Deuce back up here.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a dirty ground to me. Check it at the flasher on the driver side finder first.
Another possibility is that the batteries were too low and after they charged awhile things started working.

I helped Green_Gator out of Tampa with a truck here in San Antonio. The lights worked when I previewed the truck for him but not a week later when he picked it up. The motor pool checked and both batteries were toast and even though the truck was running the batteries didn't have enough juice for the lights. Swapped out two new batteries and everything worked fine.

tsmall07

Another possibility is that the batteries were too low and after they charged awhile things started working.

That's a possibility. The truck had been starting on its own, although it would take a few cranks when it had sat overnight. I had to jump it yesterday when it was colder and rainy.

YellowHammer

Many military vehicles will get you wet in the rain. I had to haul 3 racks of M-16A2's from Augusta to an armory in west Atlanta in a HMMWV and ran into a bad storm just inside the perimeter. It rained so hard inside that I had to zip down the windows to let the rain out. It poured down my legs from the firewall like Niagara Falls.

I just had to tell that one. Saying rain, military vehicle, and Atlanta in the same sentence just jarred that memory out of my head.

Green_gator

After my last recovery a couple of rolls of paper towels are now going into the recovery/breakdown box. One person drives while the other wipes down the inside of the window so you can see. This brings up a question, can you shorten up the wiper arms on the deuce so that the portion of the windshield they clear is somewhere near eye level?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks