• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Tatra 813 joins the ranks

duncan

Heh, nice! Guess that's not too hard, with that crane on there and all. Im thinking a standard dropside would look great, when covering the entire back of the truck. Every time I look at your pictures I want a crane on mine more and more.

But do tell, what are your plans :D Also, do you bring a ladder when you go to the gas station? That filler cap is way up there :wink:

John C

Nice pics

Is that the same hydraulic pump that is used with the dozer blade?

No, its a Dowty pump - probably pinched from an agricultural machine of some description - This Dowty pump is a gear pump whereas the original PAL one used on the Tatra is a rotary piston pump I believe.

Heh, nice! Guess that's not too hard, with that crane on there and all. I'm thinking a standard dropside would look great, when covering the entire back of the truck. Every time I look at your pictures I want a crane on mine more and more.

But do tell, what are your plans :grin: Also, do you bring a ladder when you go to the gas station? That filler cap is way up there :wink:

The fuel tank is a bit of a problem up there :roll: My plan is to move it and the hydraulic oil tank back down between the two middle axles which should then leave me room to move the crane further forward tight up behind the cab, problem in doing this is the cranes jack legs will foul on the wheels of the second axle, I think though I can cut and graft the legs slightly further back on the chassis so they miss the wheels and the tanks, then the next job is to remove the big daft ground anchor on the back as it severely compromises the trucks cross country abilities, also I am going to shorten the rear chassis back to its original length, this should increase the trucks departure angle quite a bit and reduce some of the load from the new bodies the truck will sport, once all this is done I hope to make a new base on the chassis which will be able to take different bodies which can be lifted on and off using the crane and will be secured in place using twist locks, the bodies I would like are; a tipper and vacuum tanker, both of which will be used for farm work.

Well, this is the current plan anyway.

Regards

duncan

That's the best thing you can do to it, definately :D If you're doing farm work only you could maybe make the gas tanks a little smaller to allow for the legs, since I assume you have your own diesel supply on site.

By using twistlocks you mean container style locks yeah? Thought about using the standard shipping container sizes? A 20ft container should fit (though Im not sure with the crane and all).
Making it fit means you can buy some old containers to use as building blocks for whatever you want on the back. Plus is all else fails you can haul containers :D

John C

Nice looking truck! That's the same tyres as on the 813, are they standard fitments on the Sisu from new? Does the Sisu also have a CTIS system?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a few questions for the other Tatra owners;

What exactly does the small pedal immediately above the gas/throttle pedal do? - Guessing it's some sort of engine kill device but can't tell on mine as the cable is seized and some of the linkage is missing - however I could still see it would have been attached to the injection pump in some manner.

How would the winch be operated? I can't seem to engage drive to it.

Anyone have a diagram in English showing what all the lights, switches, levers etc are for on the dash & in the cab? (worked most of it out but still a few unknown)

Sorry for all the questions but I still have no manual at present - Many thanks.

scooter01922

What the heck was that huge ground anchor for???? I realize the thing has a winch and whatnot but exactly how big is the thing you are winching to require the use of that monstrosity of an anchor. Truck is looking good by the way.

duncan

Well the winch is rated 25 ton, and the truck carries a massive pulley (block) so you can wrap the winch around and pull 50 ton. When you do that you usually tie the vehicle to something solid (like a medium sized city ;)), or you get someone to weld a massively ugly ground anchor and ruin your offroad capabilities in one go.

Finlandia

I think your front left tire is mounted the wrong way around? :grin: Proper looking tires btw.
Yes I know, I just tried how it fit. ;-)

Nice looking truck! That's the same tyres as on the 813, are they standard fitments on the Sisu from new? Does the Sisu also have a CTIS system?
Sisu A-45 original tyre are 14.5-20 (43" tall). I put Sisu XA-180 tyres (14.00-20, 49") under it. I just tried Tatra tyres, 15.00-21, 51" tall. I have allready sold all 8 Tatra tyres away.

Sisu dont have CTIS.

I love Tatra 813, but they are hard to find in Finland. ;-)

Under two pictures of Sisu XA-180, and finnish rocket-Tatra 815 with 14.00-20 Sisu tyres.

Attachments

WPNS421

Nice truck, I love the crane in the back. I love MVs with cranes. :-D:-D Is the truck a runner or do you have a lot of work to do? The best feeling is when the machine gets home and you take it out for a spin without having to do any major work. My son and I plan to visit the UK in the fall, we are on the look for a FV 434 REME fitter, it has a crane. Good luck with the Tatra and enjoy the ride. Make everyone jealous....

John C

Nice truck, I love the crane in the back. I love MVs with cranes. :grin::grin: Is the truck a runner or do you have a lot of work to do? The best feeling is when the machine gets home and you take it out for a spin without having to do any major work. My son and I plan to visit the UK in the fall, we are on the look for a FV 434 REME fitter, it has a crane. Good luck with the Tatra and enjoy the ride. Make everyone jealous....

Thanks. Mechanically she's not bad but it possibly needs a new clutch at some point soon - although it could be a fault with the clutch release mechanism or if I'm lucky it may just need adjustment - haven't really looked at it yet though.

The crane has some bad hydraulic leaks as the previous owner had used an incorrect oil or possibly diesel which has damaged the seals in the rams :roll:

1x starter motor needs attention

Other than this and a few minor electrical faults everything seems to work ok.

What the heck was that huge ground anchor for???? I realize the thing has a winch and whatnot but exactly how big is the thing you are winching to require the use of that monstrosity of an anchor. Truck is looking good by the way.
I know it's ugly but it's very strong and makes all the difference between the thing you're trying to winch getting dragged out or the truck getting pulled backwards, as it happens it's coming off soon anyway as it gets in the way a bit and also it digs big holes everywhere when on rough ground due to it's low positioning, it was fitted by the previous owners as they used the truck as an agricultural recovery vehicle.

Regards

duncan

Checked the clutch fluid levels and bleeded air from the system? Makes a lot of difference. Also I replaced the air assist line on my clutch pedal (the small line coming from the pedal itself). If you can feel it extend under pressure when pushing on the clutch pedal, the line has gone soft and needs replacing. I got a new one made to fit (stainless braided hose :D) for about 15 euro at the local hydraulics store. Clutch went from heavy and rough to smooth as a baby, can disengage the clutch with 2 fingers now if I want to.

The manual stated clutch using "generic engine oil". Mine has sae 20w50 in there now, but I do suspect that being a little too thick at times. Might replace with proper hydraulic fluid to see what happens. Might be a slight leak in the clutch hydraulic lines too, have to check soon.

John C

Clutch pedal seems ok, it's nice and light and is not spongy with air - did try bleeding it anyway just to check no air was present although I don't really think this is the problem as the clutch disengages ok and the truck is nice and easy to get into gear when the air is up. I strongly suspect the clutch plates are worn out as I've taken the cover plate off the bell housing and I can strongly smell burnt clutch lining suggesting a lot of slipping has been occurring, if I'm lucky and the flywheel and cover plates haven't glazed I may get away with just adjusting it up for the time being - I can see how it's done and I suspect from the design of the clutch that it's a routine job that should be carried out fairly often to prevent slippage?

Regards

duncan

Dont know have yet to adjust my clutch gap. The manual mentions some special tools, but they look easy enough to fabricate. Good idea though, will check somewhere next week.

duncan

Thank god hydraulic pipes are common nowadays and made to fit in minutes. I've become quite the regular at our local hydraulics shop lately :) Ofcourse its easier being abroad, with all the metric sizes and stuff. Keep a good eye out for that, I found they like to mix 10mm, 3/8 and 1/4 a lot. Now I always take the stuff that needs replacing with me when getting new, it helps ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks