• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another thing you can do with A/W crane mounted on a m819

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Another thing you can do with A/W crane mounted on a m81

Wow, that looks good....totally changes the way the truck looks....

Is it functional yet?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

no, need a driveline and the lower mounts( i have a extra set of the upper main mounts that i am going to make into a set of lowers), next time im home ,i hope to take it down to the driveline shop and have them make me up one

rizzo

to make it rotate I think you just have to take the stops off.

Is that correct????

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

not the stops but the piece that bolts on the turntable in front of the boom pedestal

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

yep,the pics dont lie, but not on a 816 or a 543

No.2Diesel

Wow I never realized that. I assumed you'd have to grind off the welds from the stop blocks. I will deff. be checking that out today. Any clearance issues?

Related Ops question for Ron or Latrine Commander: I've knocked out the two large tapered pins at the end of the boom. I can't get the boom to break loose to extend beyond 20ft. Is rust and scale preventing it from coming out? Everything else has been cleaned, greased and works fine. How do you get to 26ft?Also: The truck doesn't automatically compensate when the crane PTO is engaged. I manually set the throttle. Do you guys have the same problem?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The Austin Western Cranes have a swivel valve similar to an excavator. The M543, M816 and M936 do not as these cranes were produced by Garwood. If'n I ever get the new cab home for the M108, I'll be using the crane itself to do the cab swap. It will make for some interesting pics for certain. Nice work Ron, that truck has been screaming to have that winch back on the front.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

the 246 and the 819 donot have the throttle compensater that the 543,816 have, you have to set rpm, no clearance issures if you TAKE OFF the stop plate, are you useing the pushbar to extend the end section, pm me you phone number , ill talk to you and try to see whats going, easier then posting back an forth :) i can talk a LOTTTTTTTT faster then i type :)

No.2Diesel

Push Bar :cookoo: Excuse my ignorance, all we did was use the cab control to extend the boom. I assumed that when the pins were pulled that it would just shoot out further.....

Wait a second...does this have anything to do with those angle iron pieces under the boom? Do you put something in between when the boom is extended, then retract it to push out the boom to 26ft? I may have just answered my own question. How would you retract this 6ft. piece once you have it out?

Sleep deprivation does wonders to the brain

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

yes, thats how you do it, to retract ,pull the pins, then use the block to pull the end extension in, the tm-10 (iknow that you have that) calls for a 3 peice setup, i made a 1 piecer , lighter and easier, ill go out and measure, i am still off a bit on distance, but close enough for a one man job, 2 men make it a snap, becarefull, you can suck it in to far

Jimmy

Great pics. I love seeing action shots of wreckers in action.

Kenny,
Can you tell me about the "swivel valve", I knew that they will rotate 360 without the block in place but did not know if you could go beyond that point or not without damage.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

you can go around and around with the STOP PLATE REMOVED

No.2Diesel

[thumbzup] Wow thank you kindly sir. And thanks for the "boom might get sucked in tip." I don't know what I would do without this site. Thanks again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks